Monday, April 09, 2007

I'm not really prepared today: can I let Newsarama and CBR take this one?

As the title may imply, I'm not ready today. And my family is coming up tomorrow, so I'm not sure what the rest of this week is looking like. Of course, I say that a lot, then end up with a huge post about some C-list villain or forgotten plot point.

So, I didn't have any scans ready today. (Yet. Give me a minute, we'll see.) Considerately, Newsarama has a preview of New Avengers #29, featuring the first clash between the freedom fighting/lawbreaking New Avengers and the sellout/law-enforcing Mighty Avengers. (CBR has it too, for good measure, and let's note: written by Brian Michael Bendis, pencilled by Leinil Francis Yu.)

Good god, this looks miserable. Both Bendis and Yu have done stuff I've enjoyed before, but this looks punishing. Not punishing like the Punisher is punishing, punishing like 'make it stop' punishing. Although, it does look like those pages will go for big bucks in the secondary market, eh?

I'm not going to comment on the assorted douchebaggery of Iron Man or anyone else. I'm not going to comment on Spider-Man's Brother Voodoo crack, which is just outright hackery. Or why the issue starts with three pages of Electra/ninja standoff before changing to a different standoff the day before. Or why Black Widow and her guns appear to be vogueing from panel to panel. Or what Luke Cage is doing pointing his fists at the ninjas like he's going to launch a Screw Crusher Punch at them Admittedly, I would totally buy that comic.

No, I was really just curious what the ever-loving hell Iron Fist was doing on Page 6, panel 3. Really, tell me. I'm legitimately curious.

Commenters at Newsarama are already starting to point out some of the WTF aspects of the preview, including some of the points I've got here; but seem to be shouted down or drowned out by Rox/Sux-type posts. Comment here or there if you have any idea.

EDIT: How about one panel from happier times?
Man, Thor was always shouting 'perverted science' at something:  Ultron, Kang, Iron Man...

From Avengers #71, "Endgame!" Reprinted in Marvel Super Action #32. Written by Roy Thomas, art by Sal Buscema, inks by Sam Grainger. This was one, if not my first, Avengers comic. So that's pretty much my dream Avengers roster. Well, them plus Black Widow, Hercules, Quicksilver...and Wonder Man, Ms. Marvel, Tigra...geez, this would be easier just to cut the ones I don't want, so we'll save that for later.

Anyway, I love this panel, especially Wasp and Yellowjacket getting a little sugar in the background...

No comments: