Monday, April 11, 2011

All this week: Retro Toy Week!


This was kinda fun last time, so here's our second annual look at some of the older toys I have lying around in bins, boxes, drawers, and occasionally on the shelves. I say "older," but don't mean much older than ten or twenty years. Off the top of my head, I thought most of the toys featured this week predated Marvel Legends, and they started in 2002...wow, that'll make you feel old.

This Nightcrawler is from the 1998 Toy Biz Giant-Sized X-Men box set, where he came with very nice (for pre-Legends) figures of Storm, Thunderbird, Banshee, Colossus, and Sunfire. (In a rare bit of restraint, Toy Biz figured you'd be able to find a damn Wolverine figure.) I was able to get some on sale, so I know I still have an unopened set somewhere...

Deadpool there is from 1992, and ooh, he looks it. (Check out the Amazon link, since on the picture there in package, Pool likes like an unpopular Spider-Man variant; but the Amazon links this week are just for reference. Go through some site that'll get a kickback!) Oddly, I thought he came with a gun, but it looks like he came with a couple of swords to go on his back. His left hand holds a spring-loaded dagger, that looks a lot like Pool plans on cutting himself some bread, or maybe carving a turkey. The gun in the picture, is a Han Solo blaster, and looks about right.

As I write this, we've got ten posts already scheduled for Retro Toy Week. How many will we end up with? We'll see...and instead of the usual Wednesday strip (still working on another episode of "Doom Idol"!) we'll have a batch of strips all week! But especially Wednesday.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Really looking forward to what you have to showcase. I had a few of my old toy figures from days gone by like you, until I sold them off at a yard sale. Still, there are some I wish I'd kept. Hindsight right?