Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Quick, how old is this comic?

Er...that may be a tough one.

Danger Trail, written by Len Wein, pencils by Carmine Infantino, inks by Frank McLaughlin. Spy King Faraday has to rescue a Russian nuclear scientist's assistant, from the forces of Kobra. It's a pretty straight-forward action book, that honestly would've looked a little dated in in 1983...and it came out in 1993. The Gulacy covers help a bit, but still it looks old-school, especially with an ad for Blood Syndicate. That book was so 90's; which I mention since I had a friend that I remember was reading both...


The test piece in the first issue mentions the original Danger Trail series from 1950, a superhero-free action book done in the style of pulps. It didn't do great either, but became a cult favorite.

Kobra, the mad terrorist with an army of fanatics and fantastic technology, who's battled Batman, Superman, and the Justice League to a standstill more than once...is jobbed out in this one. Faraday steamrolls over his forces pretty much just because he's the hero, but he does get some backup in the last issue from his boss, Sarge Steel, who spends the first couple of issues sarcastically watching briefing films.

The weird thing is, I'm pretty sure I read my friend's issues back in the day; then found a set for myself, lost it, just got all four again from the quarter bins recently. Actually, maybe not even recently; I might've got it in April and forgot about it. Better remember where I put it, before I buy it again...

No comments: