Thursday, January 05, 2012

80-Page Thursdays: Marvel Super-Heroes #3!



For the next stretch, as long as I can find them, every Thursday we'll check out an 80-page comic! Not 64, not 100, 80-page giants only! It's the first Thursday of the year, and we're starting with...an issue I hit the high notes of before: Marvel Super-Heroes #3, the fall quarter special. And we've already covered the lead Captain America/Dominic Fortune story, so the rest of the issue should be a snap, right? Especially since it's not very good.


There's a Wasp story guest-starring Dakota North, a Ditko Hulk story, a one-page Speedball bit, and a staggeringly melodramatic Captain Marvel one where a mysterious woman takes away his photonic powers and cosmic awareness. (I have no idea how Mar-Vell's cosmic awareness worked; all I can think of is some of Peter David's work on Mar-Vell's son's book that make it seem terrible and paralyzing.) There's also a Blue Cross Shield story, a character whom I believe to date still has less career appearances than Hellcow, but here features art from a young Greg Capullo.

OK, not our best 80-pager today. I have some more of those Marvel Super Heroes ones, and I think it was often an inventory burnoff book. So...yeah. We'll see.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Obviously this one isn't too much of a winner. I have a 93' summer holiday one myself(I think) with a Ditko Iron Man story, Claremont's Ms.Marvel vs. Sabertooth story, and a cool one with the Vision and Scarlet witch vs. the spirtual embodiment of a town's racial/bigotry hatred. Nice art on that one.

Also, have you ever read the marvel black and White issues that put out in the mid-90's? Not bad...not too good, but not bad either. My fav, is Werewolf by night attacking a child molester. good stuff!