Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Time for more mileage out of the same post...I mean, answers!
Didn't Mike do a Dracula adaptation for Topps too?
Anybody remember Topps Comics? Uh-huh...I have a couple issues of Ray Bradbury Comics, less out of fondness for Bradbury's stories (although I remember some from when I was a kid) than following an artist. The above is from issue four, Mike Mignola adapting "The City," and the other issue I know I have I bought because of the Ken Stacey cover.
I'm sure there's been some orange in Hellboy somewhere. Right?
More renowned is the Howard Chaykin/Mike Mignola/Al Williamson adaptation of Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. This is from the first issue, "Ill Met in Lankhmar," and this page has more color than any Mignola page I can think of since. (I'm probably wrong, but just an impression.) Could be a stylistic choice, could be color artist Sherilyn van Valkenburgh, I don't know.
What The? had it's moments, but also a lot of utter hackery.
Boy, I had to look this one up again: From What the? #2, "They Call Me Woof'r'eam" Written by Al Milgrom, Mignola pencils, Al Williamson inks. Probably the strongest single issue of the book, that I can remember right now. And hey, there's some Byrne stuff that's funny. On purpose and not bitter angry, funny!
Aside from this panel, there's about 8 more, from an 8 page story, that I should scan up here.
Mignola and Steve Purcell's Rusty Razorclam, President of Neptune. Still waiting for more of this.
Wait, that side's glass too? She can see us? Oh, hell.
Hellboy: Almost Colossus #1.
I keep seeing issue #3, but not #4. Pain in my side, tell you what.
Rocket Raccoon #1, Mignola with Bill Mantlo.
I'm really kicking myself right now for not picking up the comic-style versions of Hellboy, but I already had a couple movie figures, so...
And lastly, from Heads, a short Hellboy story that I believe was a backup in an Abe Sapien issue. There's a variant action figure with the attacking Japanese heads, and I absolutely misread the solictation when that was coming...

Calvinpitt of Reporting on Marvels and Legends had a pretty good guess on the first panel: I think Mignola did do the cover for the first issue of The Machine from Dark Horse, part of the rather short-lived "Comics Greatest World" with Ghost and X. Kind of an interesting visual, but I barely remember it either...

No comments: