Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"J'onn vs. Jemm."



I can't say I'm sorry to get the new DC Universe Classics Jemm figure, but...I have barely read a comic with him. (Just the one I mentioned the other day!) I remember the ads for Jemm, Son of Saturn from 1984, with Gene Colan art, but haven't read it. The only appearances I'm positive I've read for him, were in Grant Morrison's "Rock of Ages" storyline in JLA. Probably my absolute favorite of Morrison's run on the book, but Jemm isn't really himself there as he's an unwilling member of Lex Luthor's Injustice Gang. (Jemm's only line in the issue may be a 'Guh!' or something, when he gets shot by the Joker.)

After that, Jemm would turn up in John Ostrander's Martian Manhunter series, which I thought I had read more of...but maybe not, since I had to look up Jemm on Wikipedia for more info. (J'onn almost had a thing with Jemm's intended wife, but she ended up having to go through with an arranged marriage.) Still, I think the action figure is neat, since I would've guessed the original plan from Mattel would've been to just repaint Martian Manhunter figures into an easy variant; but Jemm has a lot of differences from J'onn. Like those freaky hands.

1 comment:

SallyP said...

Gah! Those ARE freaky hands! I don't blame Ted and Booster in the least.