Thursday, November 09, 2017

Another Liefeld chapter? Wouldn't have bet on that.


He also drew the New Mutants chapter we blogged over a year ago, now I'm wondering if he worked on any of the Atlantis Attacks chapters we haven't seen yet. From 1989, Amazing Spider-Man Annual #23, "Abominations" Plot by Gerry Conway, script by David Michelinie, pencils by Rob Liefeld, inks by Tim Dzon, James Brock, Curtis, Vince Mielcarek, and Keith Williams.

Lord Ghaur and Llyra's big plan to bring back elder god Set continues to move along, and this issue they're bringing in another conspirator, longtime Hulk foe Tyrannus. Who, while not having his own tag, has been mentioned multiple times on the blog but is rarely scanned. We've seen him turned into a geezer, merged with the Flame of Life and launched into space, and today he's the Abomination? When did that happen? He was in the Abomination's body, while Emil Blonsky was human; Llyra and Ghaur waste little time switching them back. The enraged Blonsky, back in his monstrous body, then proceeds to go on the rampage in New York City; and Spider-Man and She-Hulk try to stop him. I'm not sure if this is always the case, but I've often thought She-Hulk doesn't find Spidey funny in the slightest, and may even find him a bit annoying...

There are several She-Hulk panels that look alike to me, and I wonder if Liefeld copied himself! Anyway, Ghaur takes a second to tag a briefly unconscious She-Hulk with "the Mark of Set!" She-Hulk later hits Abomination with a gasoline truck, setting him on fire, and he jumps in the river and disappears. Meanwhile, Tyrannus is bringing in another conspirator, the Viper; setting up Punisher Annual #2.

This will be the ninth chapter blogged here, and I know I have another scheduled! The missing ones are going to be a bear now, though. Off the top of my head...the misnumbered Daredevil Annual, Iron Man Annual #10, um...Web of Spider-Man Annual #5, and I forgot West Coast Avengers Annual #4! I thought I had done that one already, actually.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

You could have the greatest writer pen a story... but if Liddell drew it, I would still pass. His art is like pouring lemon juice into my eyes.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Ha ha, Sally's right though.
Jesus could Liefield's "art" look anymore lazy or what?

You're right, I don't think Shulkie's ever come around to Spidey's sense of humor much like she learned to appreciate Hawkeye's. Oh well, her loss.

Did not know Emil used to be separated from the Abomination though. Interesting. Wonder when and how that happened.