Tuesday, June 09, 2020

I wasn't expecting some of the shots this book takes, but I wasn't expecting H.E.R.B.I.E. on the prowl, either.

I needed a light, cheery, fun book to read to get my mind clear; luckily I had just picked up a bunch that fit the bill! From 2008, Skrulls vs. Power Pack #2, "U.G. Universal Gangstaz" Written by Fred Van Lente, art by Cory Hamscher.

The Power Pack kids have been dragged off to space jail Hadith-VI, but luckily their pal Franklin Richards is following in their smartship Friday. I don't think he ever appeared in the original series, but accompanying Franklin is his robot sitter H.E.R.B.I.E, who is also a million times better comic relief now than he was on the old Fantastic Four cartoon. It's like it took a few versions...

Power Pack manages to free themselves and join Franklin, but feel they have to clear their names before they can return to earth, or more and more bounty hunters would just come after them. They haven't been missed at home yet, since they've been replaced by Skrulls! They plan on using their "dad" to gain access to SWORD, but the Skrull commander "Katie" is perturbed that private "Jack" is a little too into his role as a preteen layabout.

Back in space, the real Jack has a plan to lure out the fake Pack: pretend to be the fakes, do some crimes, and lure them out. He doesn't explain it well, but it's still a solid scheme, even if they have to dress 'gangsta' to sell the role. They build their rep by picking a fight with the Kree "crew of the Gestalt schooner the Marvel..." Hey, that sounds familiar.

Yeah, that's from Grant Morrison's Marvel Boy! I did not expect a shot at that here.

Also this issue: four Mini-Marvels pages from Chris Giarrusso! It's the Fantastic Four vs. Skrulls, and I had seen part of this before, but still a treasure.


3 comments:

H said...

Have you read any of the Franklin Richards: Son of a Genius specials? They did a pretty good job with HERBIE too- good art, all-ages without talking down, an enjoyable read all around.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Ha ha, damn... nice diss by Van Lente.
I wonder why the dig.

Those Mini-Marvel stories are hilarious though. I wonder why Giarrusso was never allowed a monthly ongoing series?

googum said...

I have read some of the Franklin Richards! They're fun, and each one reads like he's driving poor H.E.R.B.I.E. to drink.