Monday, March 01, 2021

We previously saw the Question take the lead in Justice League Unlimited #36 some time back, but I'm not positive I had read this before, or just seen it on the internet. From 2005, Justice League Unlimited #8, "The Island" Written by Adam Beechen, pencils by Carol Barberi, inks by Walden Wong.
The Question explains this issue, that he had a pretty good reason for joining the Justice League when they asked: because it would've looked suspicious if he hadn't. He keeps his teammates at more than arms' distance, but also makes a role for himself there: while the League might be great against big threats, little sneaky ones may not be their forte. During his routine sweep of the Watchtower's ventilation ducts, he finds a bomb filled with a nerve gas that would kill just about everyone, from Kryptonians to Martians. Looks familiar, too...Unwilling to risk confiding in the wrong person, the Question continues to work the case alone, but is that the right tactic?
Lex Luthor isn't the prime suspect, but he's up there: he suggests to the Question, "No man is an island, but you're trying to prove them wrong." Worried he's missed something, the answer could be right in front of the Question... A fun little issue I won't spoil! Dig it.

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Nice twist there. Also, not sure if it was intentional or not, but when the Question went in the bar to interrogate Fiddler, it reminded me of Rorschach.

H said...

Don't believe I've read this issue but if the twist is what I think it is, it's a good one. They did something similar in a couple issues of Justice League Adventures. Two good series, and I wish they were reprinting them sequentially instead of those grab bag collections. Don't get me wrong- I appreciate getting anything, but the completionist in me wants it all and in order.