Friday, February 25, 2022

Gosh, that's good; almost like he'd been drawing Deadman for ever...wait a minute!

I've read more than a bit of Deadman comics, including the 1986 limited also by today's artist; but hadn't read any of this particular series. From 2002, Deadman #6, "Love & Death" Written by Steve Vance, pencils by José Luis García-López, inks by Joe Rubinstein.
The cover and the splash page are almost the same scene; Deadman floating over the city and making out with a pretty girl: the cover has Boston's traditional white mask, while the interior he's removed it to show his rarely-seen human face. (Many later artists and continuity treat Deadman as how one comic magazine described Kelley Jones's version, "dead, man.") He's working the case of Irene's murder, but is worried that he isn't working it very hard, since the assumption is when her murderer was brought to justice, her spirit would leave this world--and him alone again. Deadman's been trailing Irene's cop friend Mike, trying to work the clues of the "post-it killer" with him; but it's been tough sledding since his eight killings each had different methods.
Boston manages to unclinch from Irene to go 'interview' the other victims, but no other ghosts are to be found. Still, Mike tells a reporter that off the record, they were "real close" to breaking the case. I don't want to give any spoilers, but I feel like you've already got enough to guess! In the end, Irene goes on to the next world, but Deadman knows she'll go somewhere good. 

This was a short series, only running nine issues; but there's some more García-López art and a couple Mike Mignola covers. I liked this one, it might be worth it to keep an eye out for the rest.

3 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Probably just me, probably, but I honestly don't think Garcia-Lopez gets enough props for being a phenomenal legend of a talent like he deserves. I've personally loved his artwork from the first time I saw it, and I know I'm not alone in that sentiment. DC's obviously felt his work & style were good enough to use on various DC merch & prints over the years, but I still don't feel like he's getting his due. Maybe I'm wrong there.

I definitely need to read this series, and the "Dead Again" one. You ever read that mini-series?

CalvinPitt said...

Dead Again is the one where Deadman's being thrown into various big moments in DC history and keeps failing to avert them, right? Like, he tries to save the Flash and stop the Anti-Monitor, but Barry Allen still has to sacrifice himself, and he saving Hal Jordan from Mongul just means Hal will become Parallax.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

@CalvinPitt: Yup! That's the one. I REALLY need to read all of those.