Friday, February 18, 2022

Of course, now I'm wondering what happened to my copy.

I picked up some black-and-white horror comic magazines from eBay the other day--we'll probably see them sooner or later--but they were relatively late ones, from 1991-92; long after the heyday of Creepy or Eerie. But there had been a few attempts to bring horror back to the magazine rack in the early 90's, since I had been looking for a particular story, and hadn't found it yet. Then, I asked eBay seller necronom-a-comic-con, and he had a couple suggestions from that timeframe: some of Hamilton Comics titles, which were some of the ones I had picked up; Mort Todd's Monsters Attack, and Graveyard Dance, which I believe was a prose horror mag. That was enough for me to find a creepy tale that has stuck with me for years!
From 1989, Monsters Attack #2, featuring "Abracadaver" Story and art by "Madman," per the GCD, Rurik Tyler. Tyler also did a number of strips in What The--?! Mort Todd gets billing above the title in the reprints: he had been the publisher of Cracked, and this may have been an attempt to expand their line.
My description from memory: "There's a specific story I've been trying to find, probably a black-and-white horror mag from the early 90's: a doctor is working in the morgue, when a corpse comes in, dead without a scratch on him. The corpse's organ donor card is unsigned, so the doctor says sorry, can't use them...because he has his own plan for the body. He freezes the corpse, then bisects it in slices, as a possible museum exhibit. But the corpse isn't happy about that..." 

If you've ever read a horror comic, you know it's not going to end great for the bad doctor; and I don't know if I noticed before, but there may be a clue on the first page. This was available on Amazon, but I think I'm going to have to pick something up from necronom-a-comic-con. You should too! (EDIT: Of course I schedule this to post the day after Comixology craps itself and dies...there's a horror story for you.)

3 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

So Comixology finally died huh? What happened exactly to kill it off?

googum said...

Right now, as I understand it: Amazon owned Comixology before, but was bringing it more under their umbrella for recommendations and whatnot, and totally destroyed a lot of functionality. Books are unreadable on desktop, searches are shot, general malaise, the sinking feeling that Amazon doesn't care about comics and everything you 'purchased' on Comixology could evaporate just like that...

I have a fair mess of stuff to read on there, but it's not usually my first choice. Go Humble Bundle, you can download the stuff you get there, and it's usually for charity or something. Or buy an assload of cheap comics, which I'm doing later today hopefully...

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Shit like this is the main reason I never liked & still don't care for digital comics or digital copies of comics. What if you can't access the internet or the the website hosting them goes bad or down? Never felt they were more trustworthy over a physical copy, which will always be the case, especially when it comes to music. Sure I have songs downloaded onto my hard drive on my computer, but what if it shits out on me one day? Even though I don't listen to them as much as I should, at least I have my cd's.