Friday, July 29, 2022

As I write this, I just turfed it on my bike, and I'm typing to make sure my hand doesn't lock up! I'm also trying to recall if this was the last comic I bought at the last show: I don't think so, but it was in my car for some time, anyway. Fortunately, it doesn't have a fancy cover; those do not take the heat well. From 2016, Green Lanterns #7, "Family Matters, part one: Kitchen Nightmares" Written by Sam Humphries, art by Ronan Cliquet.
We saw the next issue some time back, but today Jessica battles her anxiety as she...has to hang out with her partner Simon and his family. Jessica tries to nope out, but Simon manages to persaude her to stick around and help him with the ma'amoul, Lebanese cookies. Who amongst us could resist cookies? Meanwhile, their guest Guardian, Rami, continues his weird mediation in the guest room, as Simon's nephew Farid takes advantage. If that kid had found a sharpie that would've showed on blue skin, Rami would've had a mustache and black eye that would've lasted a thousand years...
Simon also has a freakout, when the ma'amoul doesn't turn out: Jessica points out that's usually her speciality; but Simon's actually nervous about his mom. While she was super-demanding and eventually drove him to rebel (and get in some trouble he wasn't proud of) his mom was still his hero, and he wished he was a better son, like one that could make some damn cookies. Jessica wonders if being a superhero wasn't more impressive, but whatever, they have power rings! With some creative substitutions, they manage to get a couple batches into the oven; then she encourages Simon not to worry about who he used to be, show mom who he was now.
And Simon does, greeting his mom in full uniform: she immediately asks if he's going trick-or-treating with the nephew. Maybe not the best time, but she comes around; even if she's a little disappointed he has to cover his handsome face. But enough home life, as Rami awakens, blurts out "the Dominators are coming!" and takes off... 

Sometimes I think about the history courses I've taken in my life, and how they were across the board utterly useless. What do I know about Lebanon and its culture? Just about nothing! Maybe history should start with cookies: these are the sweets people in this area make, because these ingredients are what's in the neighborhood, and here's when and why they have them, and go from there. People pay more attention to cookies, and I think just establishing that everybody across the world likes cookies or whatnot would humanize them more than just some blotch on a map.

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Not sure if they still teach home ec or anything anymore but using cookie culture as a way to learn diversity amongst other countries' cultures.

I myself enjoyed learning new languages when you learned the dirty words first, as you do when attempting to ingratiate yourself to foreigners.

Kampus Swasta Terbaik said...

really great what you wrote, thanks for sharing this, keep continue