Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Aah, traumatic memories! Finally, ironic comeuppance!

I wasn't overly impressed with this comic, since I thought what kind of 'joke' is faking your death? Then I remembered, I, um, did the same to my little sister when I was a kid, with a tube of fake blood and an old rusty knife we found. My only defense is, I don't think it was my idea, but I went along with it all right. Scared the hell out of her; less because of the thought of losing her beloved brother, than "ick, a corpse." Ah, there's a blast from the past to make me feel like an ass; thanks, Twilight Zone #81! (From 1981, featuring "No Joking Matter," art by Luis Dominguez; "The Rich Little Man," art by Dan Spiegle; and "Heart of Stone," art by Juan Ortiz. No story credits.)
Well, just like the prankster in the lead story, I learned my lesson about practical jokes (EDIT: No, I didn't.) and I wonder if I could've avoided the predicament of "The Rich Little Man," as a railroad tramp catches a leprechaun and demands to be taken to his treasure. Yeah, it doesn't roll like that; it's more like a bizarro job interview for making "brogue shoes," which leprechauns make for reasons? But, enh, it's work, man.
More fun: "Heart of Stone," where Travis Morgan-lookalike Uncle Virgil talks to the statue he sculpted like it's going to come to life, to the amusement of his golddigging niece and her husband. He's had enough of them, and plans to cut them out of his will, so they plot to hoodwink him into thinking his statue did come to life, then murder him. Their plot involves the niece dressing up as the statue he loves; that's like a terducken of weird issues there. Luckily, someone is looking out for Virgil...the statue, yeah.
Also this issue: a Spider-Man Hostess Cup Cakes ad I don't think I had seen before; and a very nice Star Trek house ad for Gold Key's collections.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Faked your death eh? Yeah you'll definitely have to tell me the whole story behind that one & how you did or didn't get into trouble from your parents because of it sometime.

Jesus, Printout Man? Really? Really scrambling for cool-sounding, but blatantly inoffensive villain names weren't they? Looks like Sal Buscema art, but I could be wrong. Is this the first official case of a person being cancelled? I think so.