Wednesday, April 26, 2023

"Young."

I know I read New Warriors when they debuted in Thor, then like the first year or so of their book...and then never again? I mean, not even a lot of random pickups later, although I know we've seen a couple here. Certainly none of the later incarnations, which means I didn't actually read any issues where Darkhawk was a member, so I don't know if I'm anywhere near their team dynamic. Then again, that means I also 'missed' a storyline where Namorita has a drunken hookup with a gang member who steals Warrior data, which leads to the death of Rage's grandma...! Ugh. Some aspects of that book, in retrospect, are very much of their time, and also kinda gross. For example, Nova was written a lot like Wally West was for a while: a lecherous horndog, with no other personality traits.

I say that, and yet it doesn't stop me from a joke at their expense, to explain away the missing Warriors Namorita and (young) Vance Astro, who of course have not received figures yet! And poor Namorita remains dead following Civil War, but they picked up a spare of her somewhere in the timestream or something. That seems like a raw deal, but she didn't have to do a stint as Penance or anything, so maybe she did get off easy.

3 comments:

H said...

You got me beat- I only recognize about half of those guys and I think the only New Warriors story I read was in a holiday special. Never been a fan of Wally as the full Flash but being a lech sounds like a step up personality-wise from what little of his time as the Flash that I've read. The Justice League/JLU cartoon version was decent though.

Howard's probably right- this is going to be a mess. Even the Young Allies would be a better choice, and they're pretty much all old men by now (I know they did a new version a few years back but I know even less about that than the New Warriors). It'll be interesting to see Moon Knight being on the giving end of the beatings this time instead of the receiving end, though.

What's with the quotation marks with Sat 'taking care' of Kurt? Did someone make some sort of innuendo last time? I knew they were doing it but it might not be the best time for that if Kurt's been badly beaten.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Nice explanation for why those two are conspicuous by their absence. Like I told you Sunday, I'd put money on the Serpent Society being finished long before the NW are and I never though that'd ever happen. Hasbro are fickle gods aren't they?
I only sporadically bought issues of the New Warriors comic here & there, but never really stayed long enough to find out what was going on.
I do remember Nova and Namorita hooking up while she was in her blue-skinned phase (for reasons?) and it being completely one-sided, as he was wanting more and she clearly wasn't.
Didn't know she was the cause of Rage's grandma dying tho. Damn that's harsh. Going to make any sort of official NW reunions awkward AF won't it?

Hell, I don't even remember why Firestar and Vance broke up, just that it was during Busiek's Avengers run (admittedly an odd choice to bring them in on his part, but it worked?) I know he wanted to stay and she wanted to leave or was it the other way around?


@H: I guess I can see why people fans weren't fans of Wally's horndog phase. I started regularly following him after he was long out of it and dating Linda, so I got to skip that era. Trust me, if you're ever going to read a Wally Flash run, read Mark Waid's Flash run. SOOOO worth it.

Kurt was kinda deliriously flirting with Sat at the end there, so that's why Goo put that in quotation marks.

Looking VERY forward to Marc beating down the NW much like how Deathstoke usually beats down the Teen Titans.

H said...

@Mr. Morbid: I got the flirting thing with the bottle but I didn't think Sat put out for noticing the small things (or maybe pity), even with the guy she's in a relationship with. She may be a demon that shows a lot of skin and drinks a lot, but she's not loose. Plus, I figure Kurt's in too much pain right now to really enjoy it.

Also, I think a couple of the Wally West stories I read were Mark Waid and they still didn't do much for me. I meant that he doesn't seem to have much personality to me (as the Flash- his Kid Flash stories are perfectly fine), especially compared to Barry or even Jay. I've always been more of a Barry Allen guy and never got why people dissed him the way they did.