Thursday, April 27, 2023

The Knights of Pendragon make an appearance before Alan Davis finished his run in Excalibur, with most if not all of them getting killed in an alternate timeline by Sentinels in a coda to "Days of Futures Past." So I knew pretty much nothing about them, but here's yet another Marvel UK book really hyping up the Death's Head II guest-spot! From 1993, Knights of Pendragon #14, "Night of the Hunters, Part Two of Three" Written by Dan Abnett and John Tomlinson, pencils by John Royle, inks by John Royle and Jeff Anderson.
The cover features Union Jack, although I'd have had to take their word for that, since he wore a much less distinctive armor here rather than the classic flag suit. He's watching over Death's Head II, who attacked the team the previous issue, and is now joined by Magpie, a villain from earlier in the series; but DH II seems to be stalling for something. (Some of the pages seem to be out of order, at least in my copy.) Meanwhile, robot team member Gawain was having nightmares about disaster on earth-313, and Grace wanted to hook up with Peter Hunter, who could turn into a younger man when he became Albion, but she preferred the older version.
DH II had called in the Lemurians of earth-313, who accuse the Knights of genocide; but he acts like his job was done, payment on delivery. I wonder if he's even in the next issue, which would be the last.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I remember that storyline, "Days of Futures Past" too since I had those particular two issues. Good read, but dark. All those poor Knights were getting mowed down like crazy, just bodies tossed en mass against all those Sentinels like firewood.

I don't suppose there was a reset button to restore everyone was there?


I like how this is a rare instance where the cover actually reflects and even in this case, replicates an actual panel from the same issue. Definitely doesn't happen too often.

And no, I've never seen him in that horrible outfit until now & I wish it had stayed that way because that particular outfit is generic AF.

I tell you what though, always enjoy John Royle's art. Definitely doesn't get the love he should. Probably my favorite work of his, is that one issue of What If!? he drew where Rogue becomes Thor due to the events of Avengers Annual #10 going differently.