Thursday, August 13, 2026

Here's another one we've mentioned before, but I can't recall if I got the issues or the trade later, or just this Humble Bundle: from 2011, Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder: Lost and Gone Forever, written by Mike Mignola and John Arcudi, art by John Severin.
This is the second trade, of I think six, and the character would show up again later in the Hellboy stories: in Victorian times, Grey served the Queen, investigating unusual events or horrific occurances, unofficially known as the Queen's Witchfinder. I did read all six trades, and some more from the Mignola bundles; but we're checking out this one because it's a western, with John Severin art!
Man alive, if I read six trades, those were probably six issues a piece; plus Sir Edward Grey: Acheron and the Serpent in the Garden to wrap up his story...I know I also re-read Rasputin: Voice of the Dragon, and a bunch of Hellboy shorts and one-shots, like the Bones of Giants. I probably read something like 60 issues worth of Mignola/Hellboy stuff there; bringing our vacation Humble read to upwards of 75 issues, at least. And tomorrow we'll check out another Bundle, where I read at least that many issues as well!

3 comments:

Mr. Morbid said...

There’s definitely a missed opportunity here by not naming him Earl for the obvious Earl Grey jokes.

Love Severin’s work here bc unlike certain “superstar” artists like Miller & Liefield, he actually got better with time or at least maintained his usual quality throughout the years.

H said...

I don’t know- I think a lot of the big names have gotten more specific with their art. Admittedly, they also plateaued at some point, but I think Frank Miller for example was way better in Sin City than DKR or even Ronin. Never got the hype about DKR, honestly- I’ve tried to read it at least half a dozen times and never got into it.

I don’t have much experience with John Severin- it seems like he mostly worked on stuff I’m not into. The Western titles I’ve read are mostly DC, and he didn’t do much for them as I understand it.

Mr. Morbid said...

@H:

Agree to disagree on that. DKR was the last project where his art didn’t visibly start to go downhill. There are tiny hints of Sin City in there, but not enough to be a detriment to the overall story. Sin City, as good as it was, is when Miller learned to be lazy and cut corners by obsessively obscuring every panel & page with heavy black inks. 300 helped him to double down on that style. He would only get more lazy from there.

John Severin did indeed mostly work on westerns & anthologies. I first became aware of his work in Robinson’s Starman. I applaud his dedication to his craft & maintaining the integrity of his work.