Monday, January 26, 2009

Timing, part twenty.




Now, I think Deadpool could beat Crossbones, but it would take him a while, and there would be some stabbing involved. And now I'm not positive, but I think CB's been enhanced somehow, so he might even be stronger than he looks, and he looks pretty strong. Still, in case I haven't mentioned it, Crossbones is my favorite villain of Mark Gruenwald's long run on Captain America, just beating out Flag-Smasher. (The original, caped one, with ULTIMATUM and all that.) I also really wanted to get across that Cross is slumming it here: to him, working for MODOK would be the equivalent of a Mcjob. Maybe if I did more than one draft of these things...

Of course, I say that, but then had to redo the first page today, since I forgot a word balloon. In ye olden times, a correction for something like that might turn up on the letter pages a couple issues later--I remember Thor doing that once or twice, like the Secret Wars panel. Captain America had an issue where in a close-up panel of Cap, he had no nose! The editor said it was a problem with the then-new flexographic (I think) printing, and they had a cut-and-paste stat of Cap's nose for readers to do themselves. I might have to dig those up...

Still, I thought Pool deserved to get one in, since Crossbones is successful and has a great rep; while the last issue I read as of writing this, poor Deadpool didn't even have a chair anymore...Which brings up another point, that probably on the stands by the time I post this: Deadpool fights old Sub-Mariner villain Tiger Shark in his next issue (#6), and Tiger Shark's another favorite of mine. I didn't like the overly shark-like version Mark Bagley drew in Thunderbolts, I like the old school version. And it is a crime Tiger Shark doesn't have an action figure yet.

For newer readers of Deadpool, a tip: he's not lying. Pool beat an alien-controlled Captain America, and I might see if I can dig up the panel. Possibly Wade's finest hour. Not Cap's, though.

3 comments:

SallyP said...

May I just compliment you on the dialogue? Hilarious...and yet realistic.

I think that Deadpool can defeat just about anyone, with enough time and perseverance...and possibly cheating.

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to send you the two pages in which Deadpool gives Cap a shot in between the legs. Need email addy!

Gimmie a holler at WarpedElements@gmail.com if you want the pages.

Sea-of-Green said...

Is that Jean-Baptiste Donatien de Vimeur, comte de Rochambeau, or Donatien-Marie-Joseph de Vimeur, vicomte de Rochambeau? ;-)