Monday, April 01, 2013

Spoiling a 2011 DVD adapting a 1985 comic that you've read already:


So, I got Green Lantern: Emerald Knights from the pawn shop, probably a month or two ago, and finally watched it the other day. It wasn't bad: I wouldn't drop twenty bucks on it, but for two bucks? Why not?

There's a somewhat expanded adaptation of the Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons story "Mogo Doesn't Socialize," although Moore doesn't let his name be listed in the credits. It's not super: there's a somewhat unnecessary prologue with Bolphunga the Unrelenting, then his silly and unhelpful probes that he uses in his search. And in the end, Mogo's Green Lantern logo isn't part of the greenery and topography, but a shiny lantern construct. It even appears that Mogo kills Bolphunga, rather than sending him running home to his mama. Weak.

But it occurred to me, Hal tells this story to Arisia, so maybe that's how he heard it. Or maybe Hal can't tell a joke...

I also watched Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, which I got for four bucks on BluRay. Eh...it's okay, yeah. Not my favorite storyline to begin with. Although, Under the Red Hood wasn't necessarily a favorite either, and I liked that DVD. Off the top of my head, as far as DC's direct-to-video features go, I think Crisis on Two Earths has been my favorite; but I should get them all together. At the very least, it'd help me keep track of which ones I have...

No comments: