Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Because science! I guess.


I know Dynamite has the Dr. Solar, Man of the Atom license now, after Dark Horse's brief run. And I've only read an occasional issue of Dark Horse's, or Gold Key's--I don't think I read any of the Valiant ones. But today we've got Dr. Solar, Man of the Atom #14, "Solar's Midas Touch" Story by Dick Wood, art by Frank Bolle.

That...that's a weird turn of a phrase, there. After stopping one of the surprisingly frequent nuclear accidents at Atom Valley, the Man of the Atom finds his powers are out of control, and he's adding a proton to the nucleus of every element he touches. That should be problem enough, but there's spies hijacking a space capsule, so he can't let that slide.

I think Solar's written as omnipotent and godlike a lot, because that's easier that way than trying to figure out any atomic chemistry or nuclear physics. (Metamorpho, Firestorm, Captain Atom, all in the same boat.)

2 comments:

plainwater said...

I had no idea he predated Valiant!

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Very, very true about those types og guys Goo.

Interesting post with the good Doctor. That art wasn't the best or has particularly aged well, but still not absolutely horrible.

Shooter did a much better job in writing Solar with challenges than any other writer really.