Tuesday, September 15, 2015

This issue, Bart discovers comics, which of course leads to price gouging, short-packing, and violence.


From 1999, Impulse #51, "It's All Relative" Written by Todd DeZago, pencils by Ethan Van Sciver, inks by Prentis Rollins.

Young Impulse doesn't have any interest in comics, feeling they're "too slow," until his classmates' conversation about their favorite book "the After-life Avenger" inspires him to give them a try. At super-speed, Bart reads the entire run in seconds; with the exception of the rare #16. He's also less than enthused to realize it would be a month until the next issue...

Meanwhile, Nelson Arling, another fan of the After-life Avenger, is disappointed at the scarcity of action figures for the sidekick Cherub; but may have the means to do something about it: his dad was the super-villain Silver Fog, and Nelson had inherited his power to generate a tangible fog. As Impulse heads to Seattle to find ALA#16 for a friend, he bumps into Arling robbing a truck in search of Cherub, and a brief scuffle ensues. Bart manages to trick Arling by finding the Cherub figure at super-speed, and considers keeping it for his friend, but decides that wouldn't be fair. Meanwhile, in a last page reveal, Inertia plots against Bart, claiming he's only won by dumb luck and never against a real challenge...

I didn't read them at super-speed, but I've done the same as Bart here: discover a new comic, one that's been out for a while, catch up on all of it as fast as I could...then be stuck with that insufferable wait between issues! I know I've done that with Evan Dorkin's stuff, Preacher, Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye...

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I bet you do knowing your luck;) Especially with series that only you seem to like then they get cancelled.

BTW, I forgot to ask, is that series from Ballistic Comics that you got me into still putting out new issues? I forgot the name, but Derrick Robinson was doing the art.

googum said...

That was Ballistic, wasn't it? I know there was a trade recently, which I might have to find since my shop was shorted an issue! But I think it was just a limited, but maybe he'll do more later.