Friday, February 08, 2019

A Contest of Champions without the Grandmaster? No, thank you.


From 1999, Contest of Champions II #5, "Victory!" Written by Chris Claremont, pencils by Oscar Jimenez and Michael Ryan, inks by Eduardo Alpuente and John Livesay.


Urg. I picked this one up, because I was thinking when Captain Marvel comes out, I'll be going into it colder than I ever have for a Marvel movie: I know a fair amount about the character, but I haven't read anywhere near as many comics with her. And I'm more used to her Ms. Marvel look, and she hasn't rocked that look in years. This issue, she gets a smidge of revenge on Rogue, who stole her powers and memories years ago; as Ms. Marvel beats up the mutant possessed by the Broodqueen. Ugh...along with the return of the Brood, this series also featured Claremont's new characters from Fantastic Four, Lockdown and Rosetta Stone. I don't think they've got a lot of play in the years since; but at least they weren't killed off in a crossover like DC characters would be, right?

Also this issue: Hawkeye vs. Gambit! A Deadpool appearance...in which he somehow isn't the chattiest person in the panel. A "Fast Lane" insert! No, never mind that.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Ahh, I remember this series like it was yesterday. Deadpool's "dated" comments definitely apply here, since I don;t think this one's really aged well or really remembered.
Carol can sure hold a grudge though. Fight dirty huh? That include hair-pulling? How about a good kick in the twat?

The standout winners I remember was the Human Torch dehydrating She-Hulk to win, and Psylocke beating Iron Man despite his armor and knowledge of how her powers work.