Wednesday, May 13, 2020

"Arno."


Sure, Iron Man 2020's pretty good, and well-timed, but it'd be nice to have Excalibur-era Rachel, Kitty, and Meggan, wouldn't it? Maybe a little Widget pack-in? I am of course biased, as if I could I would pitch Cross-Time Caper tie-ins every big event Marvel did.

The only complaint I have for Arno is that I had pre-ordered one but found it in the stores first. The boot-jet flames may be a little fiddley, but they aren't something I would use all the time. I noticed the repulsor-ray hands seem to have lost a hinge joint? Not hugely noticeable. I re-read Amazing Spider-Man Annual #20 the other day, and didn't recognize the credited writers Fred Schiller or Ken McDonald: they were both Christopher Priest! And it's a dark story...but I also think it's set in 2015! We had 2020's Death's Head appearance, though. I'm trying to remember if he made a cameo in Excalibur, though...not that I've noticed yet? And versions of Iron Man show up more than once in Cross-Time Caper.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Oooooh, nice! Not only do we get a special appearance by OG ML Kurt (only real fans of this blog are going to appreciate that one even if it is a retconned flashback appearance) but we get appearance by the new IM 2020.

My only minor suggestion would've been to add an extra panel that had a close up on Kurt with a blur/zoom effect to further communicate to the audience Kurt's having a flashback.
But that's just me.

I learned from toy reviewer Shartimus Prime, that even though Arno's a straight up repaint of the Marvel 80th anniversary IM, the 80th anniversary IM has his shins/leg joints backwards for some reason. I don't know if this was with all the IM figures or just some. But that issue was fixed with Arno.

Excalibur-era figures would be nice, especially if we got an updated version of classic Captain Britain, as well as Phoenix Rachel, Shadowcat and Megann. Widget really would be a cool extra in the same vein as Lockheed that wouldn't require a lot of plastic and paint.