Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Huh, why is this post about a giantess girlfriend getting so many hits?

I was ten when Tarzan the Ape Man was released, and I think I read the first Tarzan novel a few years later when Greystoke: the Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes was in theatres. And I still haven't seen either of those movies? I was a sci-fi kid; Tarzan didn't do much for me. But he had a long and varied history in comics, and was so popular his son had his own title, more than once! Ah, nepotism. From 1976, Tarzan Family (Presents Korak) #65, featuring "Deadlier than the Male!" Written by Robert Kanigher, pencils by James Sherman, inks by Bob Smith; "Arrival!" Plotted by Marv Wolfman, (uncredited) script by Joe Kubert, art by Murphy Anderson; and "Pirates of Venus" Script by Len Wein, art by Michael Wm. Kaluta. Everything based on or adapted from various works of Edgar Rice Burroughs.
There was apparently some reformating coming for this title, so the main storyline seemed to be coming to a possibly-but-maybe-not natural conclusion, as Korak's adventure in the land of the "gigantics" wrapped up. He was still the prisoner of "the towering Princess Raynaa," trapped in a giant birdcage as she tried to get him away from the high priest that wanted him for a sacrifice. Raynaa fights hard for her pet; although there could be more to it; while Korak is touched, grateful even, but still wants his freedom. When Raynaa is drugged and tied down Gulliver-style by an angry tribe (that had probably previously had bad encounters with the gigantics) Korak in turn fights to save her,but in their escape she hits a patch of quicksand!...a patch about the size of a football field, looks like. And I feel like worst case, she would've been able to touch bottom? Nope, writing her out! She saves Korak, who can't find a way to rescue her before she goes under. That kind of sucked? In my head I'm already plotting a multi-issue arc where Raynaa has to take an injured Korak back to his folks, and hijinks ensue.
Also this issue: five pages of John Carter! That's barely enough to get him to Mars. Then some Kaluta art on Burroughs also-ran Carson of Venus. Enh.

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I'm guessing that giant girl fetish is still a thing for certain people in the blogger community? Maybe I should've used & over-relied on that gimmick back when I blogged...

H said...

I'll say there was some reformatting- the book got cancelled!