Wednesday, June 01, 2022

"Warewolves."

Werewolf is one of my favorite episodes of MST3K, and features some inexplicable accents for a movie allegedly set in Arizona, like the female lead's pronunciation of "werewolf" that is closer to "wyar-wulf."
   
I could've sworn I either recently bought, or possibly had to physically restrain myself from buying, the Capwolf issues again. I still have them at my folks', so I probably re-read it every summer or so. (Notably, that and the first Batman vs. Predator.) "Man and Wolf" isn't as good as "Streets of Poison" or "the Bloodstone Hunt," but is much better than "the Superia Stratagem." Or at least more memorable. I had forgotten "Superia" was before "M&W" though. But, Gruenwald had long since established Cap as keeping meticulous records, so he would've written detailed after mission reports for each! Avengers were probably encouraged to read about that time Cap got blasted on crack and beat the memory out of Daredevil, had to disguise himself in really butch drag and nearly got turned into a woman, and got turned into a wolfman. Look, if it could happen to Cap, it could happen to any of them! 

4 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

You know, when you put it that way, Gruenwald's run really was fucking wild wasn't it? I know myself I walked in on the last parts of the Bloodstone Hunt but stayed for his long fight with Crossbones, Acts of Vengeance, Streets of Poison really was as fun & crazy as people remember. Goddamn if Coked out Cap wasn't the shizznizz. "Yall got cocaine eyes! Yeah, you got speed-freak jive."

The Surpret Society stuff was fun, LOVED his 50th anniversary special, didn't stay for all of the Superia Stratagem, staed for Man & Wolf and then left right after.

If Wong's having the clones carry a dead body, it's gotta' be Strange right? No?

Barbecue17 said...

Werewolf is definitely one of the best episodes of MST3k. Possibly the best? "Werewolf?" "I don't know! You had him last!"

H said...

Wait, so is the mission un-wolfing Cap? Or is this one of those story-within-a-story-within-a-story etc. things where Moon Knight needs helping opening a pickle jar or something?

googum said...

It wasn't going to be Strange's body...they discuss it next time, but do they name names? Omigod, now I want to do a What If... Captain America NEVER came down? A world where he never got the crack out of his system, or it bonded to the Super-Soldier Serum in a way as to keep replenishing. "He's more crack than man now!"

Some of the later Sci-Fi channel MST3K's are surprisingly gold; why the hell that wouldn't get renewed for twenty seasons, I have no idea. Figuratively speaking the show costs about twenty bucks to make...I say that with love. I know the channel has a problem with management changes: every time somebody new takes over, they have to get rid of old stuff, even if it was reasonably popular or building an audience.

H, I feel like there's a name for that, that I'm not going to look up; like when fetch-quests kind of get stacked on each other? To complete objective A, you need to get item X for NPC 1. To get item X, you need to get item Y for NPC 2...and so on and so forth. DS9 and Stargate both had episodes like that.