Thursday, March 09, 2023

Yeah, maybe wait for a second print.

I found a random issue in the quarter bin, but just ordered a full set of this, since I wanted Ryan Dunlavey's My Bullshit #1: from 2021, the Comic Book History of Animation #5, written by Fred Van Lente, art by Ryan Dunlavey.
This issue was the conclusion, spanning from around 1972 to the present, with a focus on an overview of computer animation. And it's always nice to see LUPIN THE 3RD; although it's dismaying to hear that Castle of Cagliostro wasn't a bigger hit. Also, I know I've seen Grave of the Fireflies but not My Neighbor Totoro; but I can't believe those were released as a double-feature!
So I read the last issue first, but that's OK. And My Bullshit #1 will probably get a second print if Dunlavey does another issue, so you may have to hold out for that; but I'll mention it if it's good!

3 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I myself have yet to watch My Neighbor Torotoro as well, not to mention a bunch of other Ghibi Studio movies I've see that are on HBOMax. Having seen the trailers, I can see how why they're so sought after.

H said...

They never did it for me- don't know why, but Pokémon's the only anime stuff I've ever been into.

I know computer animation's all but taken over animated movies (for better or worse, because of Pixar) but I miss the traditional animation style being the norm. There's something so lifeless, even today, in most of the CGI stuff. Whatever sells though, I guess.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

@H: There definitely is a noticeable difference between today's CGI/computer animation and the hand-drawn cell art of times past. Even rotoscoping is a lost art. The price of progress I guess.