Wednesday, March 08, 2023

"Sweetness."

I know I'm thinking this because I just watched "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" the other day, but by god Peter Boyle would've been a great voice for Howard the Duck. This strip is less because I just read a bunch of Howard the Duck, than just having his figure handy from the Khonshu wave and wanting to use him somewhere; but he mentions something that will tie back to the main plot later, promise.

I could be completely wrong about this, but I feel like the hook for a Howard book now would less wacky nonsense stuff like space carrots or Dr. Bong, more him just dealing with the current insanity of the world. Crap, I just had an idea for Dr. Bong getting into the highly lucrative field of celebrity image rehabilitation; taking B-listers from being shamed for bad behavior to new heights through weaponized apologies and 'woke-shaming.' Ugh, too real. 

Unlike Howard, I haven't worked three weeks straight; but I do traditionally try to avoid taking any sick or vacation time first quarter. This might be a holdover to my dad, who wasn't really responsible for this but it's fun to pretend he was: when I was a kid, our "spring break" was basically a four-day weekend over Easter, because regardless of when Easter was that's still usually basically winter in Montana. (Dad was a principal back then; he wasn't really in charge of scheduling like that, but would've made a recommendation.) That said, this week (as I type this) has felt like 90 hours long and I feel plenty due for a day to stare into space and do nothing. 

4 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

You're too spot on with the Howard suggestions. Dr. Bong totally would do that.
Nice Howard figure. Peter Boyle huh? Yeah I can see it. The bit with Kurt at the end was funny bc he's not wrong. Satanna dating a nice guy who looks like the same kinds of demons she grew up around... makes sense honestly.

MORE HOWARD PLEASE

CalvinPitt said...

I don't know that Dr. Bong would even need much updating. He starts out as a journalist notorious for headlines that lend themselves to being read in the most salacious or damaging ways possible, but vague enough he doesn't face consequences. Nowadays, he'd probably have a social media app, or be on Tiktok as an "influencer".

And now I'm trying to remember if there's a Marvel character named "Dreg" Howard was specifically referring to, or if this is the surprise return of Deadpool (who I know got banned from using "Ooper" for rides in the Hawkeye vs. Deadpool mini-series.)

H said...

I didn't even know you could get blacklisted from rideshare apps. I knew that you could get refused or blacklisted from being hired but the whole point of those apps is that anything can go potentially. That's why people don't take cabs (by the way, I'm guessing that's the thing that'll tie back in, somehow with Jake).

I think your Howard pitch was more or less what happened in the Ty Templeton miniseries, but with a MODOK style villain instead of Bong. And which era of Peter Boyle are you thinking- Young Frankenstein, Everybody Loves Raymond, or something else entirely? I feel like the voice should probably be a little higher, maybe in a Jason Alexander range. Not Jason Alexander though- he was Duckman, and having him do such a similar character would be confusing and potentially litigious.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

@CalvinPitt:

I can DEFINITELY see Dr. Bong as an influencer/tiktoker. Fits him like a glove. Selling NFT's of his vintage likeness, and just being his usual douchey-self.