Monday, May 08, 2023

I will think of this, every time I go to the movies, for the rest of my life.

As is so often the case, Milk & Cheese are exactly right: we should've come together as a society when they first tried showing ads before movies and stopped it cold. I've never felt they were to somehow subsidize movie theaters; it's always felt like "yeah, what are you gonna do about it? In fact, have another ad for Ghost Pepper Mountain Dew or some goddamn thing." Also, support the writer's strike!

I don't think I see--or hear--babies at the movies as often anymore; but I've been a few times the last couple weeks. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 was really good; Evil Dead Rise was solid if not as funny as I'd like, and Shazam: Fury of the Gods was cheap-theater okay. Really waiting for Shin Kamen Rider May 31st!

From  1992, Milk & Cheese's Other Number One #1, written and drawn by Evan Dorkin. I just happened to have a copy handy; although I've had the trade forever. So should you!

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

It's always interesting to me in cases like these where comic characters like a Milk & Cheese comment on maddening things that have just become easily accepted like commercials during movies even back then, yet they still continue to exist.


Btw, it's my sincere hope that in a parallel universe Dorkin became mainstream famous enough for Milk & Cheese to be the new Mickey Mouse, with his own DorkinLand amusement theme parks. One can dare to dream can't one?

H said...

Evan Dorkin trades give me a headache. It's just too tempting to read the whole thing in one go, and that way lies madness. Better to just collect the issues and parse it out in safe reading amounts.