Thursday, January 25, 2024

It's not an encouraging start when I buy a book from the quarter-bin, because I'm pretty sure I've bought it before but don't remember? But, this one made me mad on the first page, feels like that I should'a recalled? From 1995, the Inhumans: the Great Refuge #1, written by Skip Dietz, breakdowns by Robert Brown, finishes by Rey Garcia. Mark Gruenwald is credited at "Editor in waste," and if that's a dig at him, I don't cotton with that.
This was a 64-page one-shot, and as was often the case, I wonder if maybe this wasn't intended for Marvel Comics Presents: there weren't chapter breaks, but it seems to read in 8-page chunks. That's something to do while reading this one, since the remit appears to have been "make the Inhumans as 90's as possible." It was the style at the time, OK? The coloring doesn't help, since some of the Kree were supposed to be blue, and weren't consistently.
The remnants of a Kree armada arrive at the Blue Area of the moon and Attilan, not as invaders, but as refugees. Are they on the level, or plotting against their former experiments? A rogue faction attacks Black Bolt and the exiled royal family, and a Kree boy shoots an Inhuman kid; then some Kree steal the Terrigen Mists, because those will work on them now, after Operation: Galactic Storm. Two Kree get powers, while another explodes, so it's not across the board. 

Well, at least this doesn't end with Black Bolt taking the throne again, because him losing it or getting it back makes up a staggering percentage of Inhumans stories. Maybe I'll remember reading this, the next time I see it in the bins.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Man, certain art from that time period was very rough to look at, this being a prime example. The Image comics style was what everyone at the big two were trying to desperately to replicate to boast sales to varying results.

A very sad example to of me is legendary artist Herb Trimbe tried to emulate said style on books like FF Unlimited & it looked HORRIBLE! At least it did to me.
I don't blame him for doing what he had to to stay employed, but it just wasn't working.


I definitely won't take any Mark Gruenwald slander kindly either, as that man was the one of the rare few comic book professionals that was universally liked by his co-workers, with not a single bad word said about him. So F*&% Skip Dietz or whoever was responsible for that uncalled for dig.

I did look up this "Skip Dietz" guy and he only wrote a small handful of various Marvel books from 92-95, but nothing meaningful or worthwhile.

I am certainly surprised, and pleasantly at that, that Operation: GS got as much millage as it did, even 3 years after the fact. I wouldn't mind a follow-up sequel to it of sorts to see where the remaining generation of that particular group of Kree are these days. I know Busiek kinda touched on them during his Avengers run in the late 90's, but I'm curious if it'd be worth revisiting again now.