Friday, April 12, 2024

An odd-shaped little freebie, but a Simonson cover? Nothing wrong with that!

From 2013, AAFES 16th Edition [Thor] #16, "Deep Freeze" Written by William Harms, pencils by Tom Grummett, inks by Cory Hamscher.
Hmm, the GCD says 'standard dimensions,' but my copy was slightly smaller; as you can see there. This looked like a promo for the US military--there are ads inside for "ShopMyExchange.com." On Christmas Eve, Thor tells Big Daddy Odin he's not going to make it for the festival of Yule dinner, he has to protect earth while his teammates are gone. Still, Jarvis fixes him a solid dinner; which Thor won't get to enjoy as a blizzard hits the city. More than that, it's an attack by Ymir and his Frost Giants! Of varying sizes. Some of them don't seem that big; I blame climate change.
A mom and daughter flee the Frost Giants, and are saved by Jarvis, who takes them on a little tour of the Avengers' Tower. Jarvis eventually holds off the Giants with some leftover Tony Stark gear, until Thor can banish Ymir and the rest back to Jotenheim, which, honestly, might be what they wanted in the first place? I don't know the continuity, but Ymir mentions being imprisoned on earth; and I could see him not loving that.

3 comments:

Mr. Morbid said...

To be fair there are some times where I don’t want to be stuck in Earth either (because of some of the people on it more than anything else) So I can’t say I’d want to necessarily be stuck on it either if I was him. He might like the food, but hate the internet and slang.

googum said...

Huh, I absolutely didn't plan this, but Jotenheim comes up again in this coming Monday's post? What are the odds of that? I mean, probably better here than on other blogs, sure, but...

Mr. Morbid said...

Interesting!