Friday, July 12, 2024

Ha, I was going to go on a tirade, about how I have a garage full of books, but there are still some I've lost that I miss, and then looked it up and I had picked it up again! So instead of seeing Psyklop, we get the Mandarin today; all part of my process. From 1977, Marvel Super-Heroes #62, reprinting 1968's Incredible Hulk #108, "Monster Triumphant!" Written by Stan Lee, pencils by Herby (Herb!) Trimpe, finishes by John Severin.
I keep complaining that the Hulk's reprint book here didn't reprint Hulk #144, a Doctor Doom smackdown I love; but maybe they skipped it because plot-wise it's pretty similiar to this one. The Mandarin brainwashes the Hulk, to use as a weapon; Nick Fury and his Russian counterpart Yuri Brevlov race to stop the Mandarin before he sets off a nuclear war. They manage to hold off the Mandarin until the Hulk returns, having shaken off the control; although the Hulk recognizes Yuri as having tried to kill him before as well, which doesn't improve his disposition any. Fury and Yuri--yeah, let's not do that, Fury and Brevlov--manage to escape, as the Hulk picks up the Mandarin's castle by a corner, to smash it.
The reprint is missing a couple pages, but not bad. Still, feels like a plot that would get some re-use there.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid said...

I call bs on Nick not letting Yuri bite it. He’d definitely be all-too up for a Russian spy to die, given the current political climate between the two countries at the time. A Garth Ennis Fury would go even harder faced with a similar situation.