Monday, April 14, 2008

Late, so late.

So, I had a post all planned out for last week, then couldn't find three of the issues I needed panels from. One would be bad enough, but three? Time for reorganization, trying to get runs of books together, and maybe even pulling out some of the duplicates out. Two days in, and the Oldest helped me today, although, I caught him reading Shogun Warriors comics instead of sorting, but can hardly blame him. Well, we'll see how long it takes to get through this, and it'll probably turn up some new stuff anyway.

Well, feel like I'd better get something done, so here's something weird from Killraven by Alan Davis:
Even after Martian invasion, and the end of the world, there's still time for a few laughs.
This was a pretty straight retelling of the seventies Marvel serial...I think from Amazing Adventures. I've only read a couple of those, and might have to re-read those later. Leaping off from H.G. Well's War of the Worlds, the Martians have recovered from their colds, society's been destroyed, and the remnants of humanity are either mutated monsters or slaves. And the Martians like gladiator movies: Killraven is a gladiator that leads a revolt, escaping into the frankly, pretty horrible future world. Think your typical post-apocalypse, but more things that used to be men, and old-school Martian tripods.
Thanks again, intelligent design.
I really need to look at those old issues again, because I don't know how much of it transfers into Davis' version. Most of the characters do, but I'm not sure about the plotline, or some of the creepiness of the monsters.

In the next issue, they all run in three separate directions, and the thing pulls itself apart...
This would be pretty damn creepy if someone like, say, Steve Niles was drawing it, but it's so incongruous with what I think of in terms of Alan Davis art. Worse, if Niles (or whoever) did this, it would be a lot darker; Davis shows you the whole horrible monster. Brrr.

From Killraven #3, story and art by Alan Davis, inks by Mark Farmer. Check it out. They're also midway through a new ClanDestine series, and I'm liking that one too, even as I go through box after box trying to find if I still have the old series...

No comments: