Tuesday, May 03, 2011

"We're the three best friends that anyone could ever have..."

I don't know who designed Fafnir the potbellied dragon, but love it.
Thank god this issue came out too early for a Hangover 2 reference...

I was pretty prepared to not like this issue: Avengers Prime #3. (God, putting up that link, I saw the variant cover, which I hate almost as much as I love the regular one.) Written by Brian Bendis, who I've been mostly unimpressed with since...oof, like Daredevil #50 or so? And this is a follow-up to umpteen bazillion issues of Civil Siege or some goddamn thing. Steve Rogers isn't Captain America right now, and he, Tony Stark, and Thor aren't the three best friends that anyone could ever have; they're generally pretty pissed off at each other. (Or, Cap and Thor are pissed at Tony, anyway. And I think Tony rebooted or regenerated or something, so I don't believe he even remembers half the crap everyone's so mad at him about.) This issue features Tony naked for most of it, and he's entirely too jokey, to boot.
In case you needed to see a buck-naked Tony Stark express his utter admiration of Steve Rogers...
But...Bendis has a couple aces up his sleeve: the story's set in the Nine Realms of Norse myth and promiently features Hela and Fafnir the dragon, which pleasantly reminds you of the glory days of Simonson's Thor. And best of all, Bendis gets Alan Davis and Mark Farmer on art, and they crush it, as per usual.


Davis (and Farmer) elevate the material: under another artist, there's no way I could've enjoyed this issue as much as I did. I found issues #3 and #4 for $.99 a piece, but I may have to cough up for the conclusion, or even the rest of the series.

We may try for a few more Thor-related posts the rest of this week, since I'm looking forward to catching the movie this weekend. Unfortunately, I worked overtime today, so I'm a bit behind. Still, something should jump out, and we may rerun some old ones as well. We'll see...

2 comments:

James Figueiredo said...

I seriously believe that there is NO crappy story that the Davis/Farmer combo can't save. I'd buy a sequel to "The Draco" with a smile on my face if it was dran by Davis and Farmer, that's how much I love their work. ;)

Anonymous said...

Доброе утро!
Очень вау какой сайт.

Масса приколов...Дудка, Альфа, Мяу-Мяу, Speed, и т.д.
Доброе пожаловать на сайт:
[b]
http://kinaxotozyna.ga


[/b]