Monday, May 16, 2011

The gift horse, again biting me in the...


Any other time, I'd be pleased as punch to stumble across a Walt Simonson-drawn comic I haven't seen before. But this just makes me want to get the whole thing. From the first serialized chapter of Archie Goodwin and Walt Simonson's adaptation of Alien from Heavy Metal, volume 3, number 1. Looking at the notes from the GCD, Alien may not have been serialized, but a couple chapters may have been run as a 'teaser.' And it's teasing me, since we don't even get to see the facehuggers this chapter!

Although I was never a big reader of it, I remember the old Heavy Metal movie; so when I found a pile of issues for a quarter a pop at a yard sale, I bought a small pile of them. Sadly, while there's some creators I recognize like Richard Corben or Moebius; I'm a little ashamed that I recognize them more for their more mainstream work like Hellboy (Being Human comes out this week!) or the Silver Surfer.

There's a nice Walt Simonson interview at CBR, so keeping in the same vein, here's another quick Simonson bit, from Marvel Premiere #60 with the Tom Baker Dr. Who:


I had this post up last week, then Blogger seemed to have a little trouble. No big deal: I've been busy setting up Wednesday's strip, and this coming Saturday is the Spokane Comicon, which I'm really looking forward to. I may just buy three hundred quarter books, but we'll see...

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Hey Googum, check out my Batman's ode to the N.W.A's Straight outta' Compton, called "Straight outta' Gotham." Let me know what you think.

SallyP said...

You know, that's a very well drawn eye in that first scan.