Monday, March 07, 2016

Second attempt: X-Men Arcade Six-Player!


Get a cup of coffee or a pop and a snack, this is going to be a long one.

About a month ago, I saw on eBay a listing for "X-MEN 1/12 Scale MINI ARCADE MACHINE MODEL," "Brand New, Hand Crafted Artisan Model." Having plunked a lot of quarters into that game back in the day, I sprang for it; and it came last week. (It was an overseas listing.) It's very nice, except for one thing: it's not 1/12 scale.

1/12 (or 1:12) scale would break down as one foot in reality would be one inch in scale. It's the same scale Marvel Legends and DC Universe classics use, where a six-foot tall character would have a six-inch tall action figure. (More or less, putting aside size creep.) A six-player arcade console is seventy-seven inches tall, so not quite six and a half feet.

In-universe, Nightcrawler is 5'9", and Deadpool is 6'2"; and both of the figures of them I have handy are right about six inches even. So, it's not always consistent; but even then this model is too small. Time to take matters into my own hands, then!

Step one, as with the Star Wars model, swipe! With a little searching, I was able to find a papercraft model, created by "AtomicThumbs," with a link: http://members.shaw.ca/jato/x-men.zip. (I scanned that with an anti-virus program before opening it: check it again!) It was for 3.75 inch scale, but we all know 1/12 is the one true scale (I tease, it's merely my preference!) and did some conversion. I am 90% sure the model I bought used the same papercraft template. The marquee piece, with the X-Men title, isn't as high resolution on any version I've seen, but more on that later.

Step two: scale it up! My wife suggested I do it my damn self I try GIMP, which I downloaded and started playing with. And I'll not quite done with it yet: things I print at home came out differently than when I printed them at Kinko's! Let's look at my first attempt:

Not quite there: trying to use the folds like a papercraft model usually would, while trying to bodge together an interior to hold it together. So, for my second attempt, I measured everything out, and bodged together an interior base, out of cardboard, foam, glue, and tape. So much tape.

Still no idea how my first try is bigger, but I do prefer the laminated side panels on it. May have to redo those on the finished one with the joysticks; which are your basic stick-pins.

I'm not 100% sold on my second one, either: I had to use way more tape than I wanted to force the panels to lie flush. I do like the way the screen sets, though, since I might try to swap in alternate screens. I also am still trying to find a better resolution version of that marquee so I could redo it, but haven't seen one yet.


10 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Damn! Other than the TMNT arcade game and the Punisher/Nick Fury one, this X-Men one was my absolute favorite. Best roster too. Kudos for trying these. I just might start my hand at these, but I'd have to hit up Staples to print these out though.
And using GIMP too! My *igga! How do you like using it so far?

SallyP said...

I am just in awe of your dedication!

AtomicThumbs Customs said...

:) I'm atomicthumbs. Designed from scratch quite a few years ago.

Anonymous said...

Konami used to be made shooting game coming out in 1992

Anonymous said...

Lethal enforcers
developer Konami
publisher Konami
Series lethal enforcers
Platforms arcade
PlayStation sega cd
sega mega drive
genre light gun shooter

Anonymous said...

capcom used to be made arcade game in 1993 be super street fighter 2

Anonymous said...

capcom used to be made arcade game in 1994
be armored warriors
alien vs. predator
darkstalkers
super street fighter 2 turbo
x- men children of the atom
capcom used to be made fighting game in 1995
be battle arena toshinden 2
street fighter alpha
with marvel super heroes
street fighter movie
capcom used to be made fighting game in 1996
be street fighter alpha 2
red earth
star gladiator
x- men vs. street fighter
with street fighter ex
capcom used to be made marvel super heroes vs. street fighter
street fighter ex plus
street fighter 3
Capcom used to be made fighting game in 1998
be tech romancer
street fighter alpha 3
marvel vs. capcom
with street fighter 3 2nd giant attack
capcom used to be made fighting game in 1999
be power stone
final fight revenge
street fighter 3 third strike fight for the future
plasma sword night of blistein
capcom used to be made fighting game in 1991
be street fighter 2
capcom used to be made fighting game in 1992
be street fighter 2 champion edition
street fighter 2 turbo
capcom used to be made fighting game in 1993
be super street fighter 2

Anonymous said...

Capcom used to be made street fighter ex 2
street fighter ex 2 plus

Anonymous said...

capcom used to be made warriors of fates
cadallic and dinosaurs
capcom used to be made battle circuit
captain commando
knights Of dragons
knights Of round

Anonymous said...

capcom out
sega out