Tuesday, December 31, 2019

"The End" Week: Star Wars #107!


Was this my first last issue? The first of oh-so-many comic titles cancelled out from under me? Technically I must've read my sister's copy of Savage She-Hulk #25 prior, but still. From 1986, Star Wars #107, "All Together Now" Written by Jo Duffy, pencils by Cynthia Martin, inks by Whilce Portacio. (Scans from the True Believers reprint so I didn't have to cram mine in the scanner, or one of the other reprint trades!)

After the Battle of Endor in Return of the Jedi, the sadistic alien Nagai allied with what was left off the Empire as they moved into their old turf. (Named Nagai of course after the great Go Nagai!) But the Nagai may not have been as bad as they seemed: they had been on the run from the even-worse Tofs. The Tofs, who look like green-skinned obese Victorians, hadn't been fleshed out a great deal, but were good enough villains for everyone to have to team up against, regardless of their personal feelings. So many feelings...

Former Rebel pilot and love interest for Luke Shira Brie returns as Dark Lady Lumiya, only to be shot in the back by the Rebels' spy in the Tofs, Han's childhood idol Bey. I don't know about Bey, but this was far from the end for Lumiya in the old Expanded Universe fiction; her Wookiepedia entry is a mile long. In the end, Luke is confident this victory is an opportunity for them all, to make a lasting peace. Maybe they did in the comics continuity. Maybe not, it's sure as hell not called Star Peace, now is it?

The next Star Wars comic would be Dark Horse's Star Wars: Dark Empire #1 in 1991; which I don't think I read until I got the trades cheap. I may have even listened to the audio adaptation before I read those! And since regaining the license, Marvel has had a one-shot #108 set back in the old continuity and wrapped up their current pre-Empire series with #75. Which wasn't bad, I'm just not as attached to that version as to the old days. I still miss Plif...

No comments: