Thursday, October 01, 2020

I need to get back on Immortal Hulk: I think I got a deal on the first couple trades; and I may have a random issue here and there. It feels like a million years since I read Hulk regularly; I wasn't for today's book, either. From 2011, the Incredible Hulks #628, "Live and Let Smash" Written by Greg Pak, pencils by Tom Grummett, inks by Cory Hamscher.
As the title may indicate, this was midway through a spy-style romp featuring the Hulk in a tux, teamed up with his ex, Red-She Hulk. The latter had been "romanced" to aid Tyrannus, in search of Pandora's Box; which is super-gross: I remember him kidnapping Betty back in Hulk Annual #17. He's not a likable character, even for a villain: the recap page calls him out as "the kind of guy who has a bust of himself." When the Hulk needs to get madder to get stronger, Tyrannus points out he "didn't just dance with Betty."
Hulk and Red kiss before the end of this one, when Tyrannus predictably double-crosses them and attacks; and I don't think I'm spoiling anything to say their relationship was not going to go forward smoothly. From the next issue page, it looked like Red Hulk had a book at the time, but Red She-Hulk didn't: I know she's probably more than a bit deriviative, but I like the idea of Betty having something to do. Just, like, not with Tyrannus.

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Wait a minute, wait a minute...you mean to tell me Betty and Tyrannus hooked up???? Jesus...sounds like bad writing that borders on fanfiction. That being said, that's certainly one way too stick it to an ex; bang one of their longtime foes.

CalvinPitt said...

I think Red Hulk's book became Red She-Hulk's book eventually. Jeff Parker wrote it. Ran for like a year, there was some stuff with other dimensions, Machine Man was there, acting more like his pre-Nextwave self. I can't really remember anything past that.