Wednesday, December 16, 2020

"Burgers."

I talked myself out of Jack in the Box after making this one, to cook burgers at home! Must save money for toys, even if the fries were supremely disappointing. (Possibly because the preheat on my oven takes approximately a week to finish; perhaps I should turn it on for Christmas now...)

Even more so than Kurt and Sat, Spidey is pretty resigned to the idea that terribleness is going to follow him wherever he goes; although I don't know if you see that in the comics anymore. Nowadays everything has to be a massive epic that changes everything we know about the character and nothing will ever be the same. Back in the day, Spidey couldn't go to the drugstore without having to fight some third-tier or lower bad guy or having to team up with some hero he had at best a nodding acquaintance with; all while Mary Jane is back at his apartment wondering what's taking him so long. Also, and Into the Spider-Verse backs me up on this, Peter eats like a hobo with a gland condition. He burns a ton of calories, rarely if ever has time to sit down and eat, and is usually ridiculously broke; so he's going to go to town when the opportunity arises.

5 comments:

CalvinPitt said...

Spymaster?! Damn, that's a pretty deep cut. I don't think I've ever actually read a comic he was in.

Years of working crap-paying temp wildlife biology jobs taught me to jump at the chance for free food whenever I can, so I'd imagine you're right about Spidey. Peter was probably thrilled any time Jonah sent him to get pictures of some society shindig or museum exhibit, even knowing Mysterio would probably show up, just so he could scarf down plates full of appetizers.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Yeah you beat me to the punch with the explanation Goo, but es, exactly, much like the Flash (Well Wally at least) he HAS to have a super-stupid high metabolism, meaning he's probably broke more often than not from the grocery/food bill ON TOP of monthly bills. I wonder how long in the comics he can live of any of his former corp money? You know after the lawyers take most of it. In real life, being discredited would only be a temporary set back (See Trump) and he'd be able to build up another business again, but Marvel like their Spider-Man, white, eternally single and eternally broke.

Also, yeah, what Calvin said, SPYMASTER!?
I know Tony's going to enjoy the much-needed break from him (even though in real time it's been a long minute since he's messed with IM in the comics) and this'll only rate a panel or two beatdown at most.

Poor guy, I knw he was only 6-7 burgers in, but can't a perpetually starving guy eat in peace?

HEY, don't knock Jack in the Box! I love their burgers, but the closest one to me is a state away in NC, and I'm not about to drive almost 3 hours for a burger...even if its a Jack in the box....but I'd be SORELY tempted though.

H said...

That brings up a good question- where are they? I thought New York, but there isn't a Jack in The Box anywhere near NYC. You'd need to go hundreds of miles (Ohio, I think) just to get to the nearest one. Though, considering some of the stuff that's happened at this restaurant, having fresh Ultimate Cheeseburgers doesn't seem as strange.

Even with a super fast metabolism and an active lifestyle, that's still a lot of salt and cholesterol. Surprised he hasn't had a stroke or heart attack yet. Maybe spider-powers include good cardiovascular health.

googum said...

They're in a NYC that only exists in my imagination, that's short on cops and long on CHUD's. A couple months back, I looked up if CostCo's were in NYC, but it didn't occur to me Jack in the Box wouldn't be!

And Spymaster kind of gets tagged in, by virtue of getting a figure this year, which he got by being the cheap figure for his wave: he doesn't get a ton of tooling, fancy paint, etc. That's OK. Some villains might have functional outfits, or to look intimidating, or maybe not think about it at all. I feel like Spymaster thinks he looks goooooood in that outfit. That and he's so good at his job, dressing up like this is the only way to make it interesting for him, or so he thinks.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Fair point.
After looking it up, most jack in the Boxes are scattered around the mid-west/south to eastern half of the US.

And they are in SC, 10 to be exact, but I'd still have to drive a good bit out of my way just to get to them. Wonder if they deliver?