Tuesday, December 29, 2020

"The End" Week: The Terminator #17!


The first movie was released in 1984, and the second in 1991, so I wonder if this series was too early and missed its window. Or if the license fee went up too much. Or if it just wasn't very good. From 1990, the Terminator #17, "Escape to Silver Dollar" Written by Ron Fortier, pencils by Robin Ator, inks by Brian Thomas.

I remember reading the first two issues of this series back in 1988, but it never wowed me; not unlike the rest of Now Comics output. I gave it and Fright Night a couple issues before giving up. I did have a roommate at one point that was a big fan of Ralph Snart Adventures, though. The checklist this issue admits this is a fill-in, before the mini-series Terminator: the Burning Earth, which is remembered for the first published work from Alex Ross. I know I've read part of that, if not the whole thing.

"Escape to Silver Dollar" follows Sarah Connor-lookalike Jean Starr, as she recounts the story of her escape from a Terminator death camp. Some of the guards seem to have human heads and skull badges, like collaborators? Or maybe they only had enough flesh for their heads. I'm still guessing collaborators, since one screams like a little girl when he's about to go out. The guards chase a band of escapees to Death Valley, where the surviving humans blow them up. Simple as that.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Was the art/production value on these comics from NOW always this bad? Just going off the art from this series, it seems on par with bad Charlton/Atlas comic work.