Tuesday, February 23, 2021

All right, I may be overthinking some of this, but some recent pickups:
The Walgreens streak continues, with the new Silver Surfer figure with Mjolnir. I have not read those issues, but I do believe that's for future-Thanos-fighting. Is he absolutely necessary? Not really, but he's nice. I would've almost preferred the Keeper look from Valentino's Guardians of the Galaxy, where future Surfer was still silver but also had Quasar's quantum bands--and Hasbro did just announce a Walgreen-exclusive Quasar, coming after their Nova later this year. 

Also: Fortnite's 8-Ball! Pretty nice figure, although the jointed hands continue to be somewhat annoying. Still haven't played the game, but I could probably be persuaded for the upcoming Kit and Midas figures. (I kind of want Midas for a custom, which I rarely do; but it would involve swapping out those hands anyway, so...)
I really wanted this Hot Wheels "hover pram" Grogu/the Child/Baby Yoda vehicle, but was surprised how close it was in scale to the Star Wars Black figure. Neat.
Every time I get all the pieces for a Build-a-Figure, I take a picture of them before putting it together. If I was smart, I'd have put all those pictures in the same folder...
I really feel like I caved on this one: I bought the Gamerverse Atmosphere Iron Man and Stealth Captain America, just because I got a bee in my bonnet to finish Joe Fixit. Who could really have used alternate hands, but okay. Atmosphere is an okay armor, with an alternate unmasked head that's closer to Adam Pally than Tony Stark. (Go watch Iron Man 3 again.) I just took the leg out of Stealth, then put a Spider-Man figure from a Kinder egg and a five dollar bill, and that will go to Toys for Tots towards the end of the year: that struck me as a cheat, but some kid would probably enjoy him more than I would, but they probably wouldn't be able to build Fixit, right? If I see him on the pegs somewhere in January 2022, then I know it didn't work... 

The Hand Ninja, well, it was the first one I'd seen in the wild, so I had to, right?  Due to the Conservation of Ninjutsu, he's probably a bad-ass; if your Stilt-Man is three feet tall your ninjas are weaksauce...I still haven't seen a Gwen/Spider-Ham figure, though; and it seems like the Peter Parker and Frogman figures might be building up a bit?

Coming up next: I guess the House of X figures are soon, and...meh? I'll probably get Moira and whatever the Omega Sentinel girl is. I'm probably all in on the villains wave so I can build Xemnu, even though I'm not super-loving the whole line-up. Hood as a yelling d-bag seems about right for him, and Arcade seems well put together; but Dormammu I was fine with the BaF version, I don't really need the A.I.M. Scientist Supreme unless I wanted to put together an army of them. (And I don't, I just like Amy!) I feel like I've bought more than enough Red Skull figures over the years, I don't have any attachment to Lady Deathstrike, and that Doom is event specific and awful: it gives the impression of a bare torso, which would be weirdly showy for him, like wearing Destro's v-neck and medallion or something. I'd have preferred Doom 2099, or Walt Simonson's sadly forgotten look for him. But I don't think I can pass on Xemnu, so...

I could conceivably talk myself into or out of a couple of Mezco One:12 figures: Christopher Reeve movie Superman, or Morbius. They also announced a Fantastic Four, that looks like it's going to be a set; and I've already seen people trying to puzzle out how to just get the Thing. Good luck! The One:12 stuff, if you think you maybe might want it; honestly, bite the bullet. Odds of the price going down later aren't good, and the availability could dry up in a snap. Worst case, you're probably going to recoup a lot of your costs if you decide to sell down the line. I think. None of anything I ever say should be considered "advice."

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Shit, now I want those figures. Looks like I'll have to wait a week tho for my money situation to improve first. News to me that Quasar AND classic NOVA are going to be Walgreens=exclusives. That's not necessarily good news for me if I'm hunting them in the wild bc my Walgreens (all goddamn 3 of them) can never get their shit straight and carry them on time or if they do, it seems like you have a SUPER-small window to grab them before collectors/scalpers do.
More than likely I'm looking at ordering them online just to guarantee I get them. Totally worth it though.

8-Ball looks nice, and could even be head-canon as being an updated version of the same lame villain who fought Sleepwalker once...with an assist from Hobgoblin....and he STILL got his ass kicked bc, of course he did.

Skipping that Mr. Fixit BAF tho. I just want Thunderstrike and Jocasta myself.

Not all in for HoX either. Just want Mags (his white suit looks pretty pimp AF honestly) I guess wolverine, definitely Scott & Jean and Prof.X, even though that reused head does NOT fit the body buck they put it on.

If you still want a Christopher Reeves Superman fix, but want to skip the Mezco figure, DC is putting out a Superman '78 & Batman '89 digital only mini-series if you're interested.