Thursday, February 25, 2021

Sure you're lost and confused, but it could be worse. Did I mention the lizard-men?

I'm not 100% sure there was a good reason for this one, but let's see what we get out of it: from 2020, Young Justice #13, "Warlords, part 1" Written by Brian Michael Bendis and David Walker, art by Michael Avon Oeming, Mike Grell, and John Timms.
So I think this incarnation of the title was bringing back some of the original Young Justice, namely Impulse and Conner-Superboy and possibly Cassie-Wonder Girl, even if they didn't fit in continuity and maybe hadn't been used in this form since the New 52 started; along with a good number of new or new-ish teen heroes: Jinny Hex, Teen Lantern, Amythest, the Wonder Twins, the Dial H kids, and Bendis's new Naomi. Oh, and Tim Drake was "Drake" this issue; that got thrown into the memory hole pretty quickly: he's his usual Robin-y self, just with a horrible brown-ish costume. Even though collectively they're more than a bit uncertain, they still want to rescue Conner from S.T.A.R. Labs. (As an older Superman reader, I will never get used to S.T.A.R. being used for evil.)
One problem: Conner's not there, he's entered the lost world of the Warlord! He's also more than at the end of his rope, so a surprisingly sensitive Travis tries to give him a bit of a pep talk, which gives us a chance for some absolutely gorgeous Mike Grell art. Travis thought he was lost when he landed in Skartaris, but that's where he really found himself: in a very Bendis bit, he confesses occassionally wondering where he would've ended up back on earth, like a department store manager or something. They are then interrupted by "the Green Manaleeshi," who appears to have a Kryptonite sword. (Callback to Warlord's Justice League Unlimited episode, where Kryptonite played a part.) I don't think we've seen him before, but Travis is already sick of him.
As the Young Justice team flies to Nevada, in somewhat terrifying fashion; Drake contacts Impulse, who of course is already there, but with the second part of their plan: more Young Justice! Aqualad, Spoiler, Arrowette, and Sideways! OK, I admit I hadda look the last two up. (I've seen Arrowette before, but wasn't sure what name she was using now.) 

I think I read something somewhere wondering exactly why Conner ends up in Skartaris, like it may not have fit in the narrative but Bendis wanted some Warlord, so crammed it in with everything else. Sometimes that might annoy me, but today I think I'm good with it! The other thing I noticed was Cassie seeming to slip into Wonder Woman's more formal speech patterns, possibly to fill that role for the team and rally them, since the new kids appeared to have a collected three days of experience. And classic Warlord! If Travis isn't going to have his own book, this is how I like to picture him: just kicking back, relatively speaking, living his life with all his crew.

No comments: