Wednesday, February 24, 2021

"Spideys."

So, a large part of this one is my confusion over the current spider-naming when they're all together, especially since Miles seems to usually be labelled as "Miles Morales" on the packaging for his figures, doesn't he? Miles deserves to be Spider-Man, and it's not usually confusing unless he and Peter and a bunch of guys that don't know them are all there. Morbius probably has to keep track of sixteen different Ghost Riders and such, so he should be able to get this faster; but like Spidey I have been part of far too many conversations that just go off the rails. 

I read at least part of the recent Avengers "Age of Khonshu" storyline (one issue has the Alex Ross Ghost Rider cover, which I didn't need but absolutely shelled out for) wherein both Moon Knight and his god both go off the rails, fight the Avengers, and get shut down. I think part of their motivation for extreme measures is to fight Mephisto or something, but Aaron's Khonshu is also a much needier one than we've seen before: he seems to still be put out that he was invited to join the prehistoric Avengers. I'm not sure I love any of that; and like Hickman Aaron seems to be intent on trying to make Star Brand happen. Just--just don't. I liked the way it was used in Quasar, and that would've been a perfectly fine place to leave it. At any rate, even if he messed up and his god was out of it, I think Marc would shrug that off as an oopsie and get back to the business of beating up thugs and so forth, street level mayhem.

 How does Kurt know Falcon? Because Sam was a recurring character for a bit in our strips, up to when Kurt was killed off in the comics back in 2010! Ooh, the old Toy Biz Falcon there. We got a movie one in 2016 and Captain America Sam late the same year, but I don't think they have appeared much.

3 comments:

H said...

Kinda surprised that they know about the Fawcett/DC Marvels (though I think they're all Shazams now). I know those Superman posters are all over the place but I can't remember the last time a DC character showed up. Is DC vs. Marvel even still canon? There have been so many reboots it's hard to keep track.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

@H: Legit question. I think after this last rebirth-reboot, they now remember EVERYTHING, or pretty much everything that's conveniently relevant. So...maybe?


Never read those strips before now, but still hold up. I like that old comic page format you had going on, BUT...those damn things are hard to read unless you open them as a new page/tab.

I really don't know just how much help Midnight Son & 90's Robert Smith impersonator Morbius is going to be, but it's good just to be needed sometimes, haha.

Really makes you think though; what if Stan had went along with Jack Kirby's initial gimmick concept for Spidey, and he had to use a mystic spider ring and say his name to become Spider-Man? Now THAT'S a true Spider-verse character just waiting to happen.

H said...

Part of why I was thinking about that is that there was a Spider-Boy in the Amalgam Universe. Probably wouldn't work for Miles any more than the other suggestions but if no one's using it, it's a thought.