Tuesday, June 01, 2021

It's mildly annoying that I probably won't read the conclusion...

I feel like I've read three out of four of these, but have no recollection of seeing this one on the racks back in the day. I feel like there was a lot of competition then, though. From 1992, Daredevil Annual #8, "Maxed Out: the System Bytes, part 2" Written by Greg Wright, pencils by M.C. Wyman, inks by Bud LaRosa.
We saw Daredevil Annual #4 (it's really #5!) some time back, part of Atlantis Attacks. Today's book was part of a smaller crossover, with the Punisher, Wonder Man, and the Guardians of the Galaxy. I think the antagonist, the computer virus Ultra-Max, would appear in all four, and Deathlok might appear in maybe the first three. It's not as good as Atlantis Attacks, or the previous year's Von Strucker Gambit. Come to think of it, I don't think I read Daredevil Annual #6, the third part of the "Lifeform" crossover, until just recently: I think I've blogged the other three chapters, at least in part, over the years.
I'm not really getting into this much, partly because it's not great, but also because I wouldn't go back and read any books by the writer of the Wonder Man Annual. Huh, that actually wasn't the conclusion; and I might've read the Guardians one, maybe. One thing this issue does have, though, is the return of Bushwacker--lettered as "Bushwhacker" one panel. It's been a long time since I've read his early appearances: he was killing mutants early on, but here admits to DD he's just doing whatever he has to, to pay the bills. I think his religious zealotry would be downplayed going forward as well, reducing him to a hired gun with that creepy transforming gun-arm.
Also this issue: Daredevil's top ten villains. You can probably guess his top three, but Bullet as number 4? C'mon. The Crippler returns to bring the Wildboys down a peg in "Disturbingly Alike," and another Fatboys short, as the skate kids might be "Growing Up?" I'm sure if the Fatboys returned nowadays, it would be so something horrible could happen to them, and I'm kind of okay with that.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I definitely had that Wonder Man Annual back in the day, back when I briefly collected Wonder Man's solo series. It was ok. Nothing special, but decent enough to entertain young me at the time.
The best part about that annual was HIS Top 10 Villains list, which hilariously contained his various bad outfits.

I've always been a sucker for Top 10 Lists, so the villain-themed list was a nice addition for those year's annuals.