Friday, September 03, 2021

I was expecting this one to be a little more half-assed, as he was about to lose his support and his title, but not terrible: from 2009, Robin #181, "Search for a Hero, part 5: Pushing Buttons, Pulling Strings" Written by Fabian Nicieza, art by Freddie Williams II. 

The creative team and Robin may or may not know it yet, but there were only two more issues after this one: the series ran from 1993 to 2009, but DC was going to push Damian Wayne from here on out. This issue is also mid-crossover, or still reeling from one: Bruce Wayne was currently dead, in Batman R.I.P. While Tim was maybe the only one who didn't think Bruce was dead, his hands were also full with a gang war, crooked cops, an imposter Red Robin, and now the return of Anarky. Those last two may be related, though.

I enjoyed the hell out of the Alan Grant/Norm Breyfogle Anarky series, which fell into a trap somewhat unusual in superhero comics: the hero absolutely can not let things return to "normal," because normal is pretty much garbage. (I think of Doom 2099 hitting the same wall...) So I was prepared to not be thrilled by his return, but Nicieza may have a workable explanation that involves another of Tim's villains (or one I associate with him?) but may make 'Anarky' just another Gotham nut that wants to watch the world burn. Spoiler is also getting a variation of a common storyline for her: Batman had left instructions for her, to try and make Tim a better Robin, that of course get completely out of hand. No 'spoiler,' (boo!) but I'll tell you Tim ends up mad at Steph when he should be furious with Bruce.

Tim had also suffered what appear to be pretty severe burns--the back of his head looks like Two-Face territory, but he just shrugs it off as "no domino mask today" and goes with the Red Robin suit.

It took me some time to get the final issue of this series, which we'll probably see later this year; but I was surprised to find a vein of late-run issues of Robin. But, I wonder if the print runs weren't higher than usual for a book about to be cancelled: I'm not sure it was for lack of sales, but to change characters for editorial reasons. I'm pretty sure DC had done the same to the Cassandra Cain Batgirl as well; so at least in this case they're seemingly trying to move forward, but in a way that would largely leave Tim out in the cold.

No comments: