Monday, September 13, 2021

I thought I had posted some panels from this series before, but I also don't think I've seen this particular movie version since the 90's. (Of course, after I wrote this, I caught about twenty minutes of it over the weekend!) Wonder if I have the other three issues, too. From 1992, Bram Stroker's Dracula #1, script by Roy Thomas, pencils by Mike Mignola, inks by John Nyberg.
This was adapting the Francis Ford Coppola movie, and the design work for the film is absolutely in Mignola's wheelhouse. This is a pretty, pretty book; in a plain newstand format. I'm mildly surprised this doesn't seem to have been released as a fancy-edition, at least maybe not at the time.
Topps is probably not remembered as a comic company, but they were swinging hard in the 90's. I don't think it saved them when the speculator bubble burst, but they shot their shot.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

You're not wrong there. I never personally bought anything from them, I sure used to see the ads for their various books in Wizard magazine from that period.

They certainly had a number of seemingly profitable licenses back then to succeed in the market, with their movie adaptations, Zorro, Mars Attacks, Jackie Chan's Spartan X, the X-Files, and so much more, so they definitely had a fair run for awhile back then.