Friday, November 19, 2021

Many, many years ago, we blogged a bit about Tempus Fugitive, a four-issue mini from Ken Steacy that I loved to death; but it had been a bit late. The first 'monthly' issue was March 1990, the conclusion July 1991. Today's book, well, a quick search says it was from 1989, but that's not entirely accurate. From 1991, James Bond: Permission to Die, story and art by Mike Grell, additional art by Dameon Willich.
I remember this getting some hype, pre-internet and pre-Wizard, back when the first issue was coming. And it's easy to see why: it's a good-looking book, although I don't think the third issue's cover is the best of the lot. I know I bought the first issue, and saw it more than once over the years, but this was the first time I've read the third issue! I vaguely remember reading #2 before, but I got all three for less than the cover price of one at the last show! 

Storywise, it's solid work, and hits the classic beats. The title, "Permission to Die" might be the best line in it, from Q Major Boothroyd: "Your Double O designation is your license to kill, 007... No one gave you permission to die." Boothroyd was the literary inspiration for Q in the movies, but may have been used instead because sometimes legal concerns determined who could be used in what.

Anyway, not cramming this one into the scanner; but if I find my spare copy of #1 maybe we'll take a gander. Have a good weekend!

No comments: