Wednesday, November 24, 2021

"Eternal."

I'm not sure I know much more about the Eternals than Kurt: I haven't seen the movie yet, but I did recently read both Kirby's original and the 12-issue mini-series from the 80's. (Spoiler alert/warning: the 80's limited has what felt like a somewhat egregious girlfriend fridging.) And...they were okay? While the Deviants had the numbers and the tech, they rarely felt like a serious threat to their Eternal foes, although Ghaur helps on that count a bit. Every once in a while there's been cool-looking Eternal moments--I was thinking of the cover of Incredible Hercules #116--I don't have much emotional connection to them. 

Which means I don't have much connection to the once-removed movie versions, but that didn't stop me from picking most of them up for ten bucks a pop. I may or may not have overpaid! I got Kingo a couple weeks back, then most of the rest this weekend, only missing Makkari right now. (Who I really need for Quasar! Who may have trouble wrapping his head around his old bro now being a girl...actually, Wendell's a cool guy, it'd be a surprise, but he'd accept it.) I did previously pay full price for the exclusive Thena and Ajak; I definitely could've waited on Ajak anyway and picked her up with the others. 

 I think it's residue from Earth X, but I don't trust the Celestials. They may have a plan for earth, but it's not necessarily one that does humanity--or maybe even the Eternals--any good. (The Celestials endgame may or may not be more complex than the Anunnaki's...) What is the morality of a scientist to a lab rat? Some Eternals seem to be true believers in the Celestials' supposed greater good; but I don't know. In Kirby's stories, trying to go against the Celestials was like trying to throw rocks at the sun, but that doesn't mean you should give up, does it?

In actual continuity, I think the Eternals had encounters with the X-Men in the Utopia/San Francisco era; which coincided with another Eternals relaunch. I'm not sure the Eternals look on mutants favorably, though: I feel like they may consider them Deviants? Could be wrong there, though.

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Having not seen the movie or plan on ever doing so, what I got from watching a video explaining the movie & ending is that the movie's straight up taking Kruegger & Ross' idea form Earth X that the Celestials have a baby Celestial hidden deep in the planet that'll eventually grow p & blow up the planet. There's a theory that the MCU Thanos was aware of this, but due to his Eternal half, but could've been suffering from the same Eternal mental madness plague & it slightly distorted his thinking into believing if half the population was wiped it would fix the problem. Well, at least slow it down, since the celestial seed would've still been there. Not so smart on his part there.

Never was too keen on them myself, but I do remember Roger Stern including them into a story once during his run.
Also Neil Gaiman worked with Romita Jr on a 12-issue Eternals comics as well not too long ago.

H said...

Either Sat's finally had too much to drink, or this is going to be one hell of a late trick or treating.