Monday, November 29, 2021

Neo-Tokyo Gotham is about to explode.

I'm having a bit of a motivation problem today, so trying to shake myself figuratively awake with a post. Today, a limited series I think I got seven of eight out of the quarter bin years ago, but only got the conclusion recently! From 2004, Batman: City of Light #8, story and art by the Pander Brothers, story by Mark Paniccia.
This may have been ahead of the curve, as every Batman story now involves massive amounts of property damage and casualties, but maybe that was novel in 2004? This was the conclusion of Batman and Batgirl (Cassandra!) versus an insane architect blowing up chunks of the city to replace with his own vision...wait, that's the plot to Destroyer, the 90's story intent on maybe retrofitting Gotham to look more like Tim Burton's movies. OK, this one also involved an artist commune, some kind of living light technology, and Purge, the architect's enforcer-slash-Batman replacement.
Bats is more monosyllabic than Cassandra this issue, because he's been put through the usual wringer; but I also think this was fairly far along for Cassandra, as she even seems to go on a date in the end. Batman also seems harsher than usual with Purge, but I'm guessing he wasn't really alive. This might've been easier if I had the other seven issues next to me...
Oddly, I think I recently got the last issue of the 2002-03 Batman: Family limited; we saw one issue of that some time back, but I bought most of it from the same quarter bins and didn't have the end!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

So that was what Destroyer was all about huh? I remember the ads for it in back issues from that time period I bought a few years after the fact. Nice gothic painted covers if nothing else.

googum said...

It's been a long time since I've read Destroyer, but I think the old (Burton-style) buildings were already there, and the architect was destroying buildings (or facades) blocking their view.

Which makes sense, two-dimensionally, on a comics page; but couldn't he just...look around them?

Unknown said...

What deny the villain all the fun of destroying priceless historical monuments? Parish the thought.