Wednesday, August 24, 2022

"Eany."









I am fairly sure I've never read a comic with Maggott, yet here we are. I'm probably missing his accent, but while he seems like a weird dude, both he and Darwin are probably more personable than Vulcan. Partly because Vulcan's ridiculously powerful and knows it, but also because he has been through some trauma, that he largely responded to by being a dick. But then, of course we have these three together not because they were all teammates (Vulcan and Darwin were, sure) but because they all came in the same wave!

Also, Maggott (or Meany) probably hasn't charged to the forefront of  A.X.E., but stranger things have happened? I flipped through a bit of the current Eternals series, and parts of it were good? I don't think Kieron Gillen had Thanos quite right, but kind of had to square him away with the current Eternals mythology. I've also been trying to recall if it was Grant Morrison or Warren Ellis that first started using the phrase "planetary defense system" for superheroes, like antibodies earth would generate to protect itself; but I know that gets thrown around for both the Eternals and the Star Brand. Multiple puzzle pieces that don't really fit together, but the Marvel U. still has them in the same box!   

Anyway, I'm thinking Maggott could be the X-Men's Matter-Eater Lad: what seems like a silly character with silly powers, that could be remarkably effective in the right situation. 

4 comments:

H said...

Never heard of that "planetary defense system" thing- sounds like typical Grant Morrison BS. Never got why people like his stuff. Definitely don't agree with the idea that the planetary consciousness is creating superheroes to fill some defensive need though. I can get behind the idea that sometimes supervillains come into being to counterbalance superheroes, but that's a step too far for me.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Oh, also CATS, but no Hamilton!?

CalvinPitt said...

Mr. Morbid, I thought Brubaker wrote X-Men: Deadly Genesis (the one that retconned in Vulcan and that other batch of X-Men)? I mostly remember Vulcan from being a genocidal looney toon running the Shi'ar Empire during War of Kings, my least favorite of the cosmic events during the Abnett/Lanning stretch in the late 2000s. An event centered on the Inhumans and the Shi'ar Imperial Guard was not going to be my jam.

The first time I saw the planetary defense thing was in Earth X, with the idea there was a Celestial Egg inside Earth that Galactus would try to kill by eating the planet before it hatched, and superhumans were just the Celestials way of defending the nest, so to speak. I don't doubt someone else pushed the idea before that, though.

For some reason I thought Maggot was from South Africa, but I don't know why. I'm sure I've read comics that involved him, but I don't think I have an opinion other than his power is unique. Nothing against him, but nothing for him, either.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

@CalvinPitt: You are correct sir, it was Ed Brubaker. Don't know what I confused him w/ Fraction. My bad.

Also you are also right about him being South African.

Man that's 0 for 2, ugh! welp there goes my credibility, haha.