Monday, August 22, 2022

You have to make the sound effect yourself, but that's part of the fun!

I'm old enough to have had a Six Million Dollar Man action figure, which I loved very much; and I know I watched the show, but I have absolutely no recollection of it. The sound effect maybe, but that's it, and that I could've gotten from the Power Record. I should've been all in on this one; in fact, I thought I was! From 2019, the Six Million Dollar Man #1, written by Christopher Hastings, art by David Hahn. Like 9 covers for the first issue, but none were on the GCD until I uploaded this substandard one!  
Set in 1974, this is day one as a spy for Steve Austin, who seems really, really upbeat and cheery about it: Steve had occasional bouts of depression over his 'condition,' and may have been over-compensating a bit. Japanese spy Niko Abe is less impressed with him, thinking the CIA would've sent a battalion to investigate a possible ICBM, but they didn't want to step on the toes of connected businessman Takeshi Amari. Steve explains he can investigate, claim to be a lost tourist if discovered, and was chock-full of bionics that could do a lot. Niko remains skeptical.
On Ansa Island, the two quickly find the missile, and the KGB had just arrived with a nuclear payload. ("Bionic eye," Steve explains.) Steve is able to throw around the guards easily enough, but one in a devil mask and sharp suit recovers, gets back in the fight, and severs one of Steve's legs! And he didn't come alone... 

As the price sticker indicates, I pulled this out of my local shop's dollar bins; but I thought I might have read it before? I checked my Humble Bundle library and it wasn't in there; so maybe I'm wrong, or have another copy of this somewhere. Might have to find the rest now!

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

You really do need the noises to complete the entire experience. Did you ever watch the reboot? Wait, I think the Bionic Woman got the reboot treatment on NBC but they never did a proper Six Million Dollar man reboot. Probably because adjusted for inflation he'd be way over the 7 figure budget limit.

Another nagging question, and I think it's been asked before on some other show spoofing both the 6 Million Dollar man and Bionic Woman is using the tech budget to improve their bodies down there.