Friday, September 16, 2022

Ah, the more things change, eh?

Man, that seems evergreen there. A one-panel number from Pat Anderson, from 1973's Plop! #1. Cover by Basil Wolverton and Sergio Aragonés.
Every time I scan Plop! stuff, I should go look for the Best of DC Digest from 1985: I thought more of this issue was reprinted there, but only the title page and Steve Skeates and Bernie Wrightson's "The Gourmet" were. Still, it's a classic that looked great even digest-sized! This is a pretty banged-up copy, but I didn't have one, so, even if it would grade at like a negative-three...

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I tried frog legs once at my local Chinese restaurant and I gotta' admit, it was pretty good. Tasted EXACTLY like chicken. Would definitely try again.

Long time ago I bought two of those best of DC digests, both of them Green Lanterns ones, but I only wound up keeping the one that reprinted the O'Neil/Adams GL/GA era of stories. Wish I'd kept that other one. I think it collected early Gil Kane era stuff like Hal's first ever meeting with Alan Scott.
Definitely recommend your readers & comic fans in general to hunt down these forgotten treasures if they can find them because even digest-sized, they pack a lot of value & entertainment.

H said...

I think they did a Millennium Edition of Plop! 1, so that might be easier to track down. Still, I agree- digests are a good value as long as the stories haven't been reprinted in a trade already.

I've had frog legs as well, and I'd say about the same- they're a bit more mild than chicken to me (if you can believe anything's more mild than chicken) but I liked it.